• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Using lime/kalk in your ato?

Going to add kalk to my ato water and see if it benefits me at all. Wanted to know from those of you that add it through your ato how you do it. Are you just mixing it in your ato water bucket then suspending your pump a few inches ? Or are you mixing in a seperate container/bucket and siphoning the good /middle section out in to your ato resoivoir so you dont get the build up on bottom or crust on top? Just wondering what method people seem to like or works better

I used to just throw a cup or 2 into the barrel. The pump was a small stand so it was raised off the bottom a few inches. The crust is good it keeps the Kalk from mixing with the CO2 & I never stir the sedimentbecause kalk will bind with the phosphate & heavy metals in the water.

Jcurry@wesketch said:
I used to just throw a cup or 2 into the barrel. The pump was a small stand so it was raised off the bottom a few inches. The crust is good it keeps the Kalk from mixing with the CO2 & I never stir the sedimentbecause kalk will bind with the phosphate & heavy metals in the water.

+1 What he said! ;) Cover the barrel as well. Randy Holmes-Farley on RC suggests the same approach.

Ah nice to see ya around bill! Thanks gonna give it a try. What kind of kalk do you's recommend? The cheap stuff like kent ok, or should i go with somethin fancier?

lol the kent stuff can be considered expensive. I believe a lot of ppl on here hit walmart or other stores when "pickling lime" season is at hand - then they start selling the stuff cheap.

I'm still trying to use up my kent kalk.

btw - i use a reactor - we had a group buy years ago on them and I got in on it. The only downside with putting it into the RO barrel is that it will eventually gum up your pump down there. But you'd have to buy like 20 pumps (lol) to equal the cost of a reactor.

Yeah people are using that mrs somethins pickling lime. I was first thinkin reactor but i want it to be a simple thing. less chance of that if i get a reactor. Easy as possible does it for me. How long should you mix the kalk and water before using it? Mix wit a powerhead?

Tazmaniancowboy said:
Jcurry are you saying dump some in and never stir it? Or never let the sediment into system?

Pretty sure he stirs it just when he mixes it initally. Then you let it settle and use it. You dont restir it. And yes, never let the sediment into your system, it contains all the garbage

Nickjr000 said:
Tazmaniancowboy said:
Jcurry are you saying dump some in and never stir it? Or never let the sediment into system?

Pretty sure he stirs it just when he mixes it initally. Then you let it settle and use it. You dont restir it. And yes, never let the sediment into your system, it contains all the garbage

not sure what you guys mean by this. The slurry in the reactor or whatever barrel you are mixing in is what goes in. The clumped up stuff at the bottom is super concentrated and could swing your alk drastically if you were to dump that in direct to the tank. In my reactor as more Top off is added eventually the stuff at the bottom dissipates and then I have to add more. Brian has the same PM Kalk reactor.

When you mix in a reservoir a crust forms on top and sediment on the bottom. The sediment contains phos and heavy metals pulled from the water from the kalk saturation process. Not suppose to use the sediment or crust, suppose to use liquid in middle.
Confused why the sediment would contain phos or heavy metals though, Isnt everyone mixing with ro water? It should be phos and metal free then.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Out of curiousity... How is it pulling phosphates and heavy metals from RO/DI water? Where is that coming from?

Phyl said:
Out of curiousity... How is it pulling phosphates and heavy metals from RO/DI water? Where is that coming from?

Thats what im sayin. This is what jcurr said above, also heard it on rc. Confuses me a bit ???

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I dose old school, manually. I mix half a teaspoon of kalk in a 16oz glass jar and dump 5ml into my sump daily. I have to remix the kalk every 2 weeks.

Phyl said:
I think it is actually impurities in the Kalk mix. My kalk mix says this in the instructions.

I just add a cup or two to the RO barrel & never stir it, either in the begining or any other time. I don't know how the kalk binds with the Phos or heavy metals because I'm not a chemist. But Greg Hiller is and that's what he told me when he was at my house & we were discussing Kalk dosing. I followed his advice and never had an issue so I never tried anything else.

I use SeaChem Reef Advantage it's kalk & Mg in one powder.

I never stir it, it just disolves on it's own. Every 6 or 8 months I just rinse out whatever residue is in the bottom of the barrel and start over.

I used to do the slurry and drip method but I had to many problems with Ph spikes & clacium deposits on my pumps. That's what spurred the discussion with Greg, so I just copied his method and never looked back.

Nickjr000 said:
Ah nice to see ya around bill! Thanks gonna give it a try. What kind of kalk do you's recommend? The cheap stuff like kent ok, or should i go with somethin fancier?

Thanks Nick.

I use ESV Kalkwasser and follow the same process as Jeff. A certain amount of mixing happens as I add RO/DI to the topoff barrel.