• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Vacation Prepping...

So in 2 weeks were leaving for disney and im freaking out about the tank while were gone... you hear all the horror stories so im doing everything i can to prepare... im not gonna have anyone here other than my mother stopping in to feed the fish... cal and alk are on dosers so ill make sure jugs are filled... im gonna put a large rubbermaid next to the tank for my auto top off so i should be ok there... any words of advice about anything im not thinking of or if u guys can tell me past incidents so that i can make sure everythings covered... i have a tank camera so ill be able to see it but wont have anyone to correct big issues... o and well be gone for 8 days...

Where are you located? There are some nice folks at some of the local stores that do services, they would gladly help your mom (for a few most likely) if something went wrong. Its stressful but what can you do, I was out of country with no cell service for 8 days, but had someone I trusted take care of the tank.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
For full peice of mind you need a good tank buddy. Someone that knows your system and can call you and be walked through things. Make sure you measure food out into daily portions. Over feeding is one of the biggest issues.

I know my tank buddy moved to south carolina... ill walk my brother through some of the scenarios incase... hes gonna have to be my tank buddy... ill have pellets portioned up... no frozen while im gone...

If you have a apex buy the ats feeder that works great and then you don't have to worry about somebody overfeeding or missing a feeding

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I noticed you didn't say anything about a skimmer jug, if you do mKe sure its on a float switch or GFI to shut off the skimmer if it fills or if power goes out and skimmer goes nuts.

Rob if it is a in sump skimmer and it goes nuts not a thing to worry about it will just go back in the sump but if it is a external skimmer then somthing should be done

Thanx for the replies everyone.... i run the ev180 in sump with a line running off the cup into a 2 gallon container... did not think about the skimmer going crazy so ill plan accordingly thanx

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Rob if it is a in sump skimmer and it goes nuts not a thing to worry about it will just go back in the sump but if it is a external skimmer then somthing should be done

Yea I know I was just saying to make sure to have a fail safe if a external jug was going to be used for vacation.