• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Very strong smell??

Hello everyone

I have recently noticed that the ocean like smell from my tank now smells like a more intense. It's not a very good smell...it smells as good as my ability to describe smells via text.

It's hard to wash it off my hands. The best way I can describe it is by saying that it smells like the ocean X 1000.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Tank is a few months old and started another algae cycle. There are patches of dark brown on my sand and some algae starting to grow on the walls of my tank again.

Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything is looking great skimmer is running fine. I run it a little on the wet side. All my corals are opening up really nice and looking better than ever.

I had 2 fish jump out of my tank and land on top of the tank but they were hidden by my pvc light stand so I couldn't see them and we thought we had some kind of animal get in our walls and die almost called an exterminator to start ripping up walls to find were the nasty was coming from till I noticed some fish missing and found them dead..

I had 2 fish jump out of my tank and land on top of the tank but they were hidden by my pvc light stand so I couldn't see them and we thought we had some kind of animal get in our walls and die almost called an exterminator to start ripping up walls to find were the nasty was coming from till I noticed some fish missing and found them dead..

Wow good thing you found them.

My room smells fine. Even the tank itself smells fine. I only notice is if I put an object in the tank and take it out, that object smells...my hand, a stick I use to move things around...

As for fishes...I have a goby and that's it. I have a pistol shrimp and 3 peppermint. I don't see them much but I do see the peppermint when the lights are off. Also I know the pistol is fine because more and more tunnels are being made every night.

I feed very little and everything sinks. My goby eats most of it and what it misses the snails grab. I have a bunch of small snails so I'm not sure if they are all alive.

I got an algae clean up crew that has been doing a great job. The crew pack had the following

- 10 Nassarius Snails
- 10 Cerith Snails
- 5 Turbo Snails
- 20 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
- 5 Mexican Red Leg Hermit Crabs
- 2 Crabs

Also my nitrates and phosphates are 0 so I'm not sure it's something rotting. I'm completely clueless.

So just an update. I am noticing that there is a film on the top of the water. It's moving around well but my guess is that it's not making its way to the skimmer in the sump?

Anyone know what the best way is to get rid of surface scum ?

Again I see it moving around the tank but it's always there.

c6e1f9e3b295fe6fc4d39586aab7530b.jpg

Not sure if you can tell from the pic but there are some breaks of the scum from the flow.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i would point a powerhead toward the top of the tank. You should have a lot of turbulence at the top of the tank in order to promote O2 exchange..... That should break the scum at the top

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
i would point a powerhead toward the top of the tank. You should have a lot of turbulence at the top of the tank in order to promote O2 exchange..... That should break the scum at the top
Good advice here! It's pretty normal to see some accumulation at the top but the powerhead should make short work of it

Max also pointed out that my overflow wasn't skimming since the teeth were fully under the water level. I pulled that higher so it's taking water from the top and I move a power head to make more turbulence. I'll report back tomorrow !

Ty everyone!