• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

VHO Buld Choice

Depending what size tank I setup I plan on running VHO's, It will be either 2 36" or 2 48". I would like to be able to keep softies, LPS, and SPS corals. Tank depth will be 12" either tank. What bulbs would you recommend?

Thanks
Greg Donahue

Hey Greg,

I have 2 VHO only display tanks.

One is a 75 gallon LPS dominated tank and I run 3 UV 50/50 bulbs and 2 UV Super Actinics for a total of 550 watts.

The other tank is a 55 gallon Softie dominated tank and that has 2 UV 50/50 bulbs and 2 UV Super Actinics for a total of 440 watts.

Both tanks have a few hardy SPS as well. They have Caps, digis and millis.

Check HERE for some pictures of growth in the 75 gallon.

With an Icecap 430 you could run a lot more bulbs than just 2 actually eight 48" bulbs to be exact. I run 6 VHO bulbs over my 21" deep tank and have no problem keeping soft & LPS corals with an even mix of URI 50/50 and actinic (03) bulbs. I prefer the URI bulbs because they have a built in reflector in the bulb.

Start with 2 atinic bulbs and 2 50/50 bulbs.