• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

VHO troubleshooting

I just bought my used setup and having problems with the lighting. I powered on the VHO ballasts and the lights (T12?) flicker for a brief moment but don't turn on. Bulbs look old. I want to make sure it's the bulbs that are bad before I spend getting new ones. Any troubleshooting tips I should try beforehand?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That sounds like they are wired improperly. Is this a retro setup? If so, I would check (and double check) all the connections and make sure there are no frayed or broken wires.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Brian. Sounds like something not quite right in the wiring. I've seen this caused by the wire not being seated in the end cap properly.

Yes it's a retro. I'm not thrilled with the canopy but since I already have it, was going to give it a shot. Will take a look at the wiring later today and see if that is the problem. If not, well guess I am in the market for a 36" fixture. Was trying to get away with using this, thinking my kids wanted FOWLR. No such luck.....kids want corals (damn spoiled already). The LR in my 120G is not good enough for them either. They want to go shop for "new" rock at the store. I thought getting this tank would quiet them but instead I'm getting complaints that I don't have the squid plumbed or the spraybar installed. I'm starting to think this hobby turned into a 2nd job.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
calaxa said:
Yes it's a retro. I'm not thrilled with the canopy but since I already have it, was going to give it a shot. Will take a look at the wiring later today and see if that is the problem. If not, well guess I am in the market for a 36" fixture. Was trying to get away with using this, thinking my kids wanted FOWLR. No such luck.....kids want corals (damn spoiled already). The LR in my 120G is not good enough for them either. They want to go shop for "new" rock at the store. I thought getting this tank would quiet them but instead I'm getting complaints that I don't have the squid plumbed or the spraybar installed. I'm starting to think this hobby turned into a 2nd job.

Keep the tank, get rid of the kids! ;D

Bob

Check the end caps - make sure they are tight and secure.

Then check and make sure the bulbs fit snugly in the endcaps.

Finally make sure the wires connecting the endcaps are connected properly to the ballast.

Could've been that during the move that one of the wires came loose from the end cap.

I gave up on this for now as evidenced by my WTB post. Will relegate this fixture to the troubleshoot when I have time pile.