• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Virus quantity in the ocean

I recently read that there were more virus particles in a liter of ocean water than there are humans on the planet. This boggles my mind. but it also makes more sense to me when Paul B uses ocean water (NSW) to immunize the fish in his tank, or at least to build up their immune system. I had thought that water from a colder area would not support the same bacteria as that from a colder area around reefs. But as it appears that many (maybe even or most) pathogens are viral in nature, it makes more sense. Building an immunes system that is exposed to many non-harmful viruses could help protect from those found in the reef aquariums. Sort of like a vaccine or immunization doesn't prevent getting a disease, it makes the disease less harmful when exposed. I remember using live sand and some natural sea water (packaged) when I started my tank and never had any disease problems. Could that be why?
For anyone who understands fish disease, are mot aquarium diseases viral or bacterial in nature?

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I too like Paul's incites. Hey Mark how tough doing?set up a new tank yet?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Glad to see your still around the site. We need to get together; you're right around the corner from me. Hope all is well.

I am roughly a year without a tank. While I don't miss making and lugging the water, I do miss seeing the subtle changes and surprises you find in the tank and the tranquility of watching it. I loved taking photos of the fish and other inhabitants. Now I will need to do it more at public aquariums. I will be setting up a small freshwater fish tank for one of my grandsons in a week or so. I am hoping that when this epidemic blows over, I can come to some of the meetings, but I would love to see nearby tanks.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am roughly a year without a tank. While I don't miss making and lugging the water, I do miss seeing the subtle changes and surprises you find in the tank and the tranquility of watching it. I loved taking photos of the fish and other inhabitants. Now I will need to do it more at public aquariums. I will be setting up a small freshwater fish tank for one of my grandsons in a week or so. I am hoping that when this epidemic blows over, I can come to some of the meetings, but I would love to see nearby tanks.
Feel free to stop by.