• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wash those hands folks...

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I often reach into my tanks to replace snail-plowed coral to its position, recover a scraper, place a frag exactly where I want it, etc...

Never had a problem in all the years I've been doing this.
And I've gotten lazy.
Lazy means that I slowly moved away from gloves, then away from the thorough washing of hands, and was, up till last week, on the, 'Well my hands were in the tank, I'll just rinse them quick under water' stage.
And I did just that last Friday night after reaching in for just a second to move a coral plug.

Annnnnddddd, then, at some point about 10 minutes later, I rubbed my eyes.

Within a minute, pins jabbing into my eyes with fire on them was a pretty good description of the pain.
Then burning, itching, instantaneous swelling, and actual eyeball pain - it felt as if my eyeballs were in a vice.
Figuring this was some type of palytoxin/zoatoxin I went to the sink and began flushing my eyes.
I would have driven to the hospital had I been able to see.

After 2+ hours of flushing, ice, anti-inflammatories, and Benadryl, I wasn't blind, though my right eye swelled completely shut for 12 hours and my left was open just a slit.

Here's me after 2-3 hours of flushing, ice, and drugs. Those fluid filled bubble pockets under my eyes and the complete visibility of blood vessels is not the norm. A few hours later the right eye was swollen shut and looked like a golf ball...

IMG_9292.jpg

Next 24-48 hours consisted of severe burning and pain. By Monday I was able to open the right eye and tonight all seems well.

Don't get lazy. Wear gloves. Wash your hands.

EDIT:
Forgot my wife took this. These were my eyes through Sat and Sunday for the most part (this pic was taken on Sat night, 24 hours after). That right eye was shut like a vice grip.
Note the sultry sexy look is still there, its just impeded by the blood vessels and swellling.
IMG_9293.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Diana, Initially I couldnt see well due to the quick swelling and the tearing up. A taxi was in the works if things went bad with vision. I was working to keep the swelling at bay as best I could but there wasnt an effect on my actual sight at all. I could open the swollen eye and see fine.

falconut

NJRC Member
Wow, I suppose I've been lucky for all the years I've had my hands in my tank & never used gloves. I don't have corals anymore, but there are still lots of weird things in our tanks.

Glad you're better now. I think I would have freaked if my eyes were reacting like that.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I never use gloves but I always, throughly wash my hands and forearms afterwards....as I'm usually elbow deep in my tank when necessary.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I will be more carful. Glad you are recovering without lasting or worse yet. Permanent damage.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
glad you are doing better and nothing serious. constant reminder to stay safe everyone. experienced or newbies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Glad to hear it’s better now. I almost always wear gloves, but it’s to keep whatever’s on my hands out of the tank. I guess it works both ways...

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Glad to see you're feeling better.

This has me thinking:
Performed a WC Thurs and Fri similar eye issue, assumed was allergies. Went away in two days.
Did some rearranging in my tank Sunday as well. Monday similar issue and chalked it up to allergies again. I still have some eye issues.

Damn....glad you’re better Mark. Halfway through your post I had to wash because I just moved a coral, no gloves, not even the lazy rinse-off. Thanks for the reminder.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Edited the original for a 24 hour later shot.
Seriously sucked.
Almost didn't BBQ or drink on the holiday, but managed.
I talked like a pirate a lot.

No harm done. But today I was glueing a Ricordia that was attached to a rock that was two small to keep it in place. So I put my gloves on, picked him up, Took him out of the tank and the bugger proceeded to squirt a stream of liquid about 18 inches. Fortunately it missed me. But lesson learned almost the hard way. Owning safety glasses and not putting them on is stupid.