• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Washing hands before working in the tank

Does anyone do this and with what if so. I never payed much mind until I came across a thread on reef2reef about this and how staying out of the tank can potentially encourage coral growth by keeping the water cleaner and free of oils and whatnot. Any thoughts?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wash my hands with just hot water before going into the tank, and soap and water after I come out of the tank.

I've heard this before and from some friends on RC. Since the majority of my "hands in the tank time" is after I get my kids ready for bed which means Ive been dealing with soaps, shampoo, conditioner and lotion...my hands and arms are loaded with unwanted residue. So just as best practice now I am always washing my hands before I do anything in the tank.

As much as I hate using the Coralife gloves, I use them when in my tank. There are occasions when you need to get a better feeling though, and in that case I try to use a plastic bag. I have skunk cleaners that think my arm hairs are a parasite...so guess what they do when I don't protect my arms or hands? :ambivalence:

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have those gloves, and they are such a major pain. No manual dexterity at all. When moving rocks and fragging I just wear a pair of powder free nitrile gloves.

Just don't use suntan lotion. :p (yes is a real world problem not making light of it)
In all seriousness I always wash before going in and twice as hard coming out. If I happen to be doing something with oil that day then don't go in at all.

Just don't use suntan lotion. :p (yes is a real world problem not making light of it)
In all seriousness I always wash before going in and twice as hard coming out. If I happen to be doing something with oil that day then don't go in at all.

Man good thing this is a reef forum or that could certainly be mis interpreted..

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, there are a lot of post around here that you could say the same thing about. :p

I don't always wash before going in, unless I've just recently touched something that may have gotten my hands dirty. I always wash after though.

I have powder free nitrile gloves also that I will use sometimes. Mostly when moving rock around and/or when handling zoas/palys as I've read that article Jim linked a while ago.

If anyone uses the rubber "hospital" style gloves, just be sure they don't have the powder on the inside. The powder can be harmful to your tank.

No gloves here. I know it's dumb but I'll take the risks over no maneuverability. I don't keep many.zoas anyway. Actually.none in the display