• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water Changes

There has to be a better way so how do you guys & gals perform them? As I explained in my intro, I recently upgraded from a 125 to a 210. W/ the 125 I changed 20 gallons/wk. Water purchased @ a shop, transported in (5) gallon jugs like most use. Now w/ the 210 I change 35 gallo0ns/wk. Changing 20 wasn't too bad but 35 is a PITA, undoubtedly because of my method: siphon out the water into 7 buckets & then carrying them into the bathroom for disposal. That part isn't too bad. Pouring the new 35 gallons into the tank is the PITA part. I pour about 1/2 of the water from each jug into a bucket & then lift it up & pour that into the tank. A 210 is rather high. 14 times! Too much damn work & time consuming. I had a water pump a few yrs. back which I used to take water out of a tank. Bought it @ Lowe's Home Improvement. The type which you screw hoses onto nozzles on either side. I was considering getting another BUT if I remember correctly, it wouldn't pump water upwards so no good. Also I was advised against it by my LFS due to water passing through & coming into contact w/ metal parts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't imagine you members w/ large tanks going through what I do. Thanks.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Best investment for your tank will be an RO/DI system. This will save you from buying water from your LFS. In the long run it will save you money as well.

Second weekly water changes sounds like a lot. I do mine every other week but as long as your tank is doing well then it should be good.

Third I would invest in a high end return pump. Look at the head pressure to make sure it will pump water high enough for you. Use this return pump to pump most of the water from your bucket to your tank. You might still have to 'dump' some water but shouldn't be nearly as bad as currently

Four how far are you from a sink? They make like 100ft syphon hoses that connect to the sink. You can use this to syphon out your water.

Now I only have a 54g tank so I'm still doing the buckets but when I get a larger tank I plan on have a better way of doing water changes.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think you have a couple options, but without question, you need to purchase your very own RO/DI unit. With that large a tank, it will pay for itself fairly quickly.

Options (that quickly come to mind):

1. What @art13 suggested above....pump out, pump in.
2. Automate with a dual head pump that automatically takes out X gallons of tank water while pumping in X gallons of new water....typically on a daily basis. Does require a drain close by and a place to store a large volume of new saltwater.
3. Install a Natureef system that will greatly reduce (some even say eliminate) water changes. With larger systems, this becomes practical.

I'm sure there are others, but I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I'll get a return pump ASAP. Another since I already have a Rio 2100 in my sump. Maybe for a few dollars more, Ill get a 2500??? RO system in the future. I w/ look into the hose to sink deal. Sounds good. Lots of fish fed lots of food soooooo, I believe water changes are mandatory.

I am not fancy but have two 32 gallon brute trash cans on wheels, spend a day filling and mixing salt/heat next day use a pump To pump water out and then use a pump to pump the new water back in. Takes me about 5 min to change the water if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just set up a 180, doing one once a week and a half since I just set it up fairly recently going through the ugly phases now but hope to slow it down to one every 2+ week. I have mostly softies few lps but if I go SPS I'll have to do it more often...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
for me, my RODI unit is in my basement, so i am forced to lug a 5gal bucket up a flight of stairs, and across the living room without spilling a drop. it is the most strenuous thing i do every week and probably the most "exercise" i get in a week

Steve: Good luck w/ your new tank. You sound quite experienced so all should go well.
Trio91: Just 1? If so-WOW!!! I'm jealous. I've seen those large wheeled cans & thought that's the way to go. Goes on the darn list.