• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Watt?? The electrons must flow....

The electrons must flow
After seeing all the incidences with the Coralife timer (and I had that happen also), and hours of perusing various web sites, I noticed that it seems like everyone pays attention to the water flow through our tanks, but there is never much mentioned about the current flow through our wires. Poor water flow rates could cripple our tanks but poor flow through our wiring could cripple us. So I figured that I would add some info on this subject to hopefully “enlighten” (bad pun, sorry). Ever wonder why when you turn on that hair drier or vacuum and the lights dim or you trip the breaker?

Primer (Simplified)
For the most of us, we generally have two sizes of circuits in our homes, 15 amp and 20 amp. All the typical outlets are 15 amps and then we have some special outlets which are 20 amp for the stove or refrigerator. Now, let’s look at a formula (Amps = Watts/Volts) or (Watts=Volts x Amps). You can flip it around using basic algebra (sorry for the dirty word) to get watts or amps and there is the issue whether we should be using 110v or 120v but for a simplified version just follow below.

Code says:
A 15 amp circuit can carry only a total of 1440 watts, which is 80% of the 1800 watts found by multiplying the volts times amps,15 x 120 x 80%= 1440. A 20 amp circuit can be loaded 1920 watts, 120 x 20 x 80%=1920 watts.

The circuit breaker is sized based on the wire size in the wall and it there to protect the wiring (15 Amp for #14 , 20 Amp for #12), so you never want to up the circuit breaker size without changing all the wiring. Additionally, a circuit consists of all the numerous outlets connected to that particular wire, connected that circuit breaker. So, it’s not the individual outlet, but the total to all outlets. The outlets can be spread out around the house or all in one room, depends on who did the wiring and under what code.

So watt ..
Now for some math..
Pseudo fish tank (more or less I like round numbers)
lights MH 2 at 250w = 500
lights atinic 2 at 50w = 100
heaters 2 at 200w = 400
main pump 1 at 200w = 200
skimmer pump 1 at 50w = 50
media pump 1 at 25w = 25
power heads 4 at 10w = 40

Grand Total 1315 watts

Since our total is less than the 1440 maximum mentioned above, we are ok. Unless we then plug other things into other outlets on that circuit like a TV, Xbox, computer, DVD player, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, blender for the margaritas… Or for those lucky enough, larger tanks with more lights, pumps, more gizmos and so on… Get the picture? Check your water flow but also check your electron flow…..

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for this post. I have never thought about calculating my wattage, but I know I'm up there. I have been wanting to run a dedicated circuit or two since I moved into my house 1.5 years ago, but haven't yet. I'm still trying to figure out how the wiring was run in this house. It jumps all over.

Taz

Tank leaks, you have a mess. Electric go bad, you get the shock of your life or have a marshmallow roast. I’d also always use GFI, especially around kids. Can’t tell you how many times I tripped the one by basement sink were I do make up water and clean everything. It’s shocking (or not… )
Bob