• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Weird question, is there a tool that can cut a hole in the side of a canopy?

I will try to get some photos this week but hopefully I can explain decently. My new fixture came and as I suspected it's a tight fit in the canopy.. VERY tight. No way I could run it this way as the fans are right up against the side. I assume I could drill a bunch of holes in the side for ventilation but I'd rather just be able to cut a whole big hole out of the side (figured I could put in some dark screening and have it still look decent)... is there a type of tool I could buy/rent that could cut a rectangular hole in the side of a canopy w/o taking it apart? Only other thing I could think of to give me something bigger then a drilled hole was the drill bits you can use to cut a small hole in a door for a knob but I'm hoping there is something else out there? Or do you think maybe I could use one of the circular knob cutters and then just use a small saw to cut a rectangle? Figured with a bit of trim around the hole you wouldn't really notice any uneven edges?

Thanks for any tips!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First, there is nothing that will drill a rectangular hole.

If you want a rectangle, two potential ways:

1. drill a pilot hole and then use a jig saw to cut out the rectangle
2. Make a template and then cut out the rectangle with a router.

If you want a round hole, a hole saw is what you use. You didn’t mention the size, but I have a couple sizes, I think my largest is 3 inches. You’re more than welcome to borrow them, if you wish.

i would use a hole saw
it would be by the drill bits, Then you can get a computerfan gaurd to put over it. The screen material you will see the salt on.

I picked up a jig saw today, I think I'd still like a rectangular area cut out (keeping with the shape of the side of the canopy and all, plus then I could frame it with some small molding pieces) but my Dad gets in this weekend so we'll see what he thinks will work best, at this point I haven't measured it all out yet. Roy I'll let you know if I need anything :)

if you are doing a rectangle with the jig saw drill a hole to get the blade in, then make sure you have a straight pice of wood clamped to the canopy to use as a guide and run the saw along that. That way your cut is straight. Jigsaws used freehand are hard to make perfectly striaht cuts.
I usually drill the 4 corners then connect the dots with a straight edge guide