• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Hi
I am a seventh grade science teacher nearing retirement. I have been in the hobby for many years keeping all types of tanks from freshwater to salt. I have bred many species of freshwater fish and plan to one day breed saltwater fish. Recently my attention has turned to propagating corals. I always have about a dozen tanks up and running and when I try to downsize, they just go right back up again.

I have combined my passion for reef keeping and teaching STEM by created Coral Reef To Classroom. The basic premise of the program is to get kids interested in reef keeping and become concerned about ocean stewardship while learning about science and technology.

At the moment I have one STEM class with 6 participants. Our classroom tank has mostly soft coral and anemones with two clownfish. Hopefully they will become a bonded pair. You can follow us at Coral Reef to Classroom on Facebook or Coral Reef to Classroom (@cr2classroom) | Twitter. I will keep you posted as my program grows.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm new to reef keeping, but love challenging myself. I had promised myself that I will setup a reef tank upon reaching a certain personal milestone, and so here I am. Look forward to interacting with all of you and learning from your experience. Hopefully I will be able to pay it forward sometime!

I'll setup my tank journal here as well ... I'm starting off with an IM 30L.

thanks all,
M

Hello all,

I'm new to reef keeping, but love challenging myself. I had promised myself that I will setup a reef tank upon reaching a certain personal milestone, and so here I am. Look forward to interacting with all of you and learning from your experience. Hopefully I will be able to pay it forward sometime!

thanks all,
M
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your tale of the tank

Hello all,

thanks all,
M
Welcome to the hobby, we're all here for you if you have questions!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Hello all,

thanks all,
M

Welcome friend! I too have a IM 30L check out my build thread and def start a tale of the tank!

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Hello all,

I am the owner of The Drunken Kraken and appreciate the add. I got my first tank at 9...freshwater system where my freshwater shark killed all the inhabitants and then carpet dived to off himself. Fortunately I have learned a bit since then. I set up systems for others, but currently have a 120 gal mixed reef with a ton of LPS and softies and a couple SPS, a host of invertebrates, two PJ Cardinals, two Clownfish, a Hoeven’s Wrasse, a Coral Beauty Angel (model citizen), Starry Blenny, a pair of Two Barred Rabbitfish and a Tomini Tang. Thanks for the add and check out our page.... Would love to participate and/or host an upcoming members meeting. Currently building a 327 gal FOWLR and in the planning stages for a 90 gal Frag system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. My name is Pete. I have enjoyed reefing for many years but it's time for me to move on from it. I would like to make a post to show my set-up for sale and tried to do that. I must have done something wrong, however. Can anyone suggest the best way to post to the deals and steals section? I was unable to find the correct way to access that section for posting.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hello. My name is Pete. I have enjoyed reefing for many years but it's time for me to move on from it. I would like to make a post to show my set-up for sale and tried to do that. I must have done something wrong, however. Can anyone suggest the best way to post to the deals and steals section? I was unable to find the correct way to access that section for posting.

Done :)

What's up fellow reefers. I built my first saltwater tank in May 2018. It was a complete disaster! I've since upgraded to a brand new 120g mixed reef that send to be going well so far. Looking forward to meeting people and learning. Brian
Welcome @Bken1313 you have come to the right place. First step is to start a tale of the tank.

Ok guys somehow I missed this thread so I'm a bit late on my introduction. My names is Nick I live in Brick nj, I'm 33 and have been into fresh water since I was a kid, I got thrown in to the world of salt water by chances, let me explain. My coworker is a compulsive hobbyist, got into saltwater aquariums for a short period of time, split up with his girl had to move out and had to abandon a 14 gallon biocube (are you ready for this) with two ocellaris clowns, a hippo tang, a diamond watchmen goby, and a sand sifter starfish. In his defense they were all thumb nail sized and some of the wild life was in a 70gal he had set up and sold, but the guy didnt want the fish just the tank for a snake. So he knew I had a young kid into fish and the "finding nemo/ finding dory" movies. Plus he helped me maintain a 75gal fresh water tank at work and knew I was semi knowledgeable with aquariums . He told me "come and get it or the tank and fish are all going out to the curb in the garbage." I couldn't pass that up nor let the poor fish die. So I jumped into the extremely expensive and extremely complex (so I always thought anyways)20190822_154540.jpg20190822_154547.jpg20190730_120622.jpg world of salt for my son when we grabbed it and set it up. Everything worked well for roughly two years till the hippo tang got to large for 14 gallons and got territorial and murdered the clowns, goby and starfish. I had been trying to upgrade before that happened but couldn't find a reasonably priced set up. That was my trial and error set up, weve recently upgraded to a 30gal biocube with upgraded lights, filter, skimmer etc. I'm am currently looking for a nice 90gal to be our final set up. My 5yr old son nick and I really enjoy the hobby alot together and he is extremely knowledgeable for being 5yrs old. We recently did our first reefapalooza and love it. Were doing a reef tank now in the 30gal and loving it.

Attachments

• 20190822_154520.jpg
    20190822_154520.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190822_154530.jpg
    20190822_154530.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190822_154519.jpg
    20190822_154519.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190730_120619.jpg
    20190730_120619.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190730_120554.jpg
    20190730_120554.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi, my name is Matt. I am in south jersey, and extremely new to this hobby.
A friend of mine gave me his 20 gallon set up, with 2 clown fish and a chromi.
The tank was pretty self sustaining when he had it, and so far everything has been going well for me.
I am however someone that goes all in when I do something, so I’m on here for as much information, and help as I can get.
I would also like to start looking into my options for coral, and possibly a couple more fish.