• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Well that didn't last long..

After getting out of the hobby (sort of) last year, our PR guy came to me yesterday and said that they want to get rid of the FOWLR tank thats in one of the front offices. I got bombarded with two feelings at once. Excitement and dread. LOL I told him that I would let him know today by the end of the day. Caught between the two emotions, I discussed with my wife who quickly liked the idea. The tank used to be maintained by an outside company. After that stopped, the fish were only being fed. So with that...I will be EASING my way back into it with this setup.

58 gallon Oceanic tank (non RR) and matching stand
Glass top with a basic 35" strip light (I still have my 48" T5's at home)
Few basic damsels with some live rock
Eheim Professional 2 (2026)
Heater
A couple powerheads
Misc. items underneath.

Nothing a little water won't take care of.

LOL...nope. I STILL have a 20 long on the island in the kitchen that houses the damsels (that i've had for years) from my previous tank.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice looking stand and tank James. Welcome back!

I think your first order of business should be to get yourself a glass holes overflow box and a sump.

Nice looking stand and tank James. Welcome back!

I think your first order of business should be to get yourself a glass holes overflow box and a sump.

Funny you said that. I was just bouncing around the net looking at those. I never had to deal with putting one in myself. So what GPH overflow would be good for this tank? You know if I do the overflow, keeping this a FOWLR will be next to impossible for me. I'm regretting selling the NAC7. I also just realized that I sold my RO/DI unit. So much for a quick set up. As for a sump, of course the 20L that's housing some fish won't fit in this stand.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
1$ a gallon sale is going on right now, pick up a new tank for a sump.

1$ a gallon sale is going on right now, pick up a new tank for a sump.

Or pick up an RR tank.. I need to check my shed to see what I have in there. I might have something I can make into a sump. I know i have a couple of small tanks out there. I just can't remember what they are.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
James, I'm in the middle of upgrading my 75G to a 120G so I replaced my NAC7 with a BM "Hero 180". I like the NAC7 so much that I just got the big brother from the same company. They both are great skimmers.

I just cleaned up the NAC7 and was going to let it go for $100. If you want it, I'll save it for ya. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Let me know.

I appreciate that George. I will let you know. I'm actually thinking about selling one of my AR-15's (yes, all NJ legal) for funding a comback into this hobby. Not sure if I want to yet.

Of course, my head is being flooded with ideas for this. Stopping the wheel at this second? LED's. Since i'm not made of money these days, i'm thinking chinese knock offs that some members here seem to be happy with. I'm no good with electronics so a DIY is out of the question (unless it's just a matter of plugging in stuff) Let's assume I want to grow everything.

Which ones?
How many?

check out the reefbreeder value LEDs. i think they are the best at the low price point. i would start out with one fixture and then add more light if you think you need it.

You are probably going to need two fixtures for that size tank. We used two AI SOL Blue fixtures over our 57g.

If I were you, I would look for two used fixtures with a controller. The AI SOL Blues, Radons, and Razers are all good fixtures that you may be able to find used.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
check out the reefbreeder value LEDs. i think they are the best at the low price point. i would start out with one fixture and then add more light if you think you need it.

+1 for the Reefbreeder LED's. These are not the Chinese fixtures of old. They have been great improvements in them.....gigantic aluminum heat sink, dual fan control that match the intensity of light, bridgelux leds, full spectrum (has the violet/red/green LEDs), optics.....all good stuff.

I have one if you wish to see it up close and personal.

I have had no choice but to think about this since the system was thrown into my lap and it has to be out of that office this week. The plan popped into my head to sell off a rifle, "Jenny" that I built from the trigger up. Yes, I named an AR-15. Going that route would allow me to get EVERYTHING needed at once. However, since I can't bring myself to part with it, i'm going to bring the system home and get everything in time as money allows. Who knows....I might end up with a totally different system.

George, I really appreciate the offer on the NAC but if you have to sell, please do. What did you do with your sump by the way?

Last edited:

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sump is still active on my 75g and will be until I can finish my cabinet furniture to switch over to the 120G. I now need to make the 40b I just got into a sump as well... so the completion seems to be getting further away instead of sooner. :eek: