• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do I do if the power goes out Tuesday?

What do I do if the power goes out Tuesday?

Im new at this and havent had to deal with a power outage yet. What are best practices to keep the fish happy?

First of all let's hope that no power outages happen. And if they do let's hope they are not extended.

The main thing is oxygenation. As long as water is circulating it carries oxygen through it. If the water is stagnant the tank will die within 4/5 hours.

You can buy a cheap battery operated air pump from petco or LFS. Attach an airstobe to it and just use that to oxygenate your tank. During sandy I kept my tank alive for a week power outage with such a pump. Even though the temperature went down and such no one died or even got sick.

Good luck to everyone and hopefully we don't have to worry about this.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Like @MaxDamage984 said it's all about the gas exchange. Some people purchase those batteries air pumps which are good. I personally connected my wave pumps to a computer UPS which gave me about 90min of those power heads running at full power. I was lucky I never lost power much or long. The best but most costly is to get a generator that can run your tank.

Best is hope, pray, sacrifice a small animal or child, spin in circles or what ever that you don't lose power lol.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Before I bought a generator I used a Power invert-er that hooks up to a car battery. It worked great to run the main pump and a power head. More than enough to keep your tank going. If the water starts getting cold you can heat up some water and float it in a Zip-loc bag.
Good Luck. We might need it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Get a small generator, for 1-200, I got mine for about 600 and it's enough to run most of my house, you can get smaller ones that put out 1-2k watts, that should be more than enough to run the tank.

40a40433c5ddab1c74afe268c7012290.jpg

Got this from local auto parts store for 50$.

I will now sleep soundly [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Invest in a generator, you can get an electrician to hook up an outlet to directly plug in your whole house for a few hundred bucks and a modest generator will keep your essentials going. Tanks, fridge, heat, ac, etc. For less than 1000 bucks you never have to worry as long as you're home to start up and plug in your generator. Just my 2 cents, small cost compared to the investment in your tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My generator was free, lol, but it's 6800 running watts, it runs my fridge, extra freezer, all the lights and tvs, tank, water pump for the well, everything but the oven, ac and hot water heater, I can still use the stove and heater as they are gas