• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do you do with your fish....

I was just sitting here thinking about a few of my fish when they grow old and pass. Do I bury them or what. Then I thought, my dad is a taxidermist. One of the best. I think as my tangs get big then old, I might do some cool real life thingy with some rocks and have him do reproductions or skin mounts. What do you guys think?

Twisteds 180 Reef

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're twisted. :eek:

Haha, I guess if it's done in a tasteful manner, it would probably be pretty neat to have them forever.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I know were you got your screen name from…..sounds a little twisted to me! :grin:

But then again, maybe it’s just me. I could never understand those people who stuff their dogs or cats after they pass. Just not me.

The other point is that by the time you fish out this dead fish, it probably is not going to be looking too good. But then again, I’ve seen some taxidermists work magic.

Now to answer one of the other questions, where some might think I’m twisted….The Hippo that recently kicked the bucket ended up in the trash. If it was warmer, I’d probably burry him in the ground to add fertilizer to the soil. That’s what we use to do with fish parts after a day of fishing.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Man I'd have him show me how to do it if I were you. I think that would look real nice.

Jim He also did it with his dog too. As for the fish I gave this thght awhile back and wondered if fish could be mounted inside bottles and kept as like specimen types.Im glad I wasnt alone in this thinking.But maybe we could keep this to ourselves;)

Jim He also did it with his dog too. As for the fish I gave this thght awhile back and wondered if fish could be mounted inside bottles and kept as like specimen types.Im glad I wasnt alone in this thinking.But maybe we could keep this to ourselves;)

Yeah, you can see Bullet in the picture in the background under Trigger. I wonder what he did with Dale?

Here's Buttermilk:

buttermilk.jpg

As for the fish I gave this thght awhile back and wondered if fish could be mounted inside bottles and kept as like specimen types.

Hey they use to sell those baby sharks like that in souvenir shops in FL. Stuff it in a bottle, fill with formaldehyde and put the lid on.

Its amazing how many ppl ask my dad too mount their cat or dog. He refuses and I'm glad. Fish on the other hand....I learned years ago how to skin fish and deer and mount them but I never got into it. I guess I'll see when the time comes.

Twisteds 180 Reef

Small they get burial at sea...or larger trash. Don't suppose your dad is from western PA?

You could do the fish prints when they paint the fish then push them into the paper.

Na my dads down here in cape may. It's cape taxidermy. His fish mounts look like they are under led. Real cool

Twisteds 180 Reef

A guy on another forum I'm on actually taxidermied a few fish. There was a yellow tang and a clownfish, I think. It looked really good, but he was basically hounded off the site by people who thought it was weird before he could tell us more about it.

When I lost my fish during the hurricane, my boyfriend threw them in a tupperware with some alcohol. I forget if it was rubbing alcohol or vodka. Apparently they were well preserved and now live in a high school biology room. I haven't seen them though, and don't plan to. It would just be too upsetting.