• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do you do with your old filter socks???

So recently I have been just using new but watch a video by Mr. Saltwater Tank and he just throws the old ones in washing machine with no soap. So I threw a few in the wash but I’m kinda scared to use them. Isn’t there leftover residue of bleach, detergent, and softener in the machine? Not to mention my dryer eats 3-5 of my daughters and I socks as is I’m kinda worried just feeding it a few socks!!! Lol

What do you guys do with your socks?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I only use bleach and rinse a second time then air dry them. I wait until it no longer smells the bleach before using them.

I've been doing the same for a long time... skimmer still freaks out a bit for a while when I first drop them in.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I always did them in the washer by themselves. If they were really bad I would add some soap but normally just hot water in the washer did a great job in cleaning them. I would let them air dry

falconut

NJRC Member
I run mine through the washing machine too. I run the washer on spin & drain (empty), then when done I throw in a cap of bleach & the socks on normal wash, then I put them in the dryer. Has worked fine for me.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I run mine through the washing machine too. I run the washer on spin & drain (empty), then when done I throw in a cap of bleach & the socks on normal wash, then I put them in the dryer. Has worked fine for me.

The plastic ring does not melt in the dryer?

I bought 2 and they are 16 inches if not longer. Was looking for shorter ones.
The internet is the only place I have found them well actually worth it. One of my LFS has them but it’s like 10$ for 1-4 x 8 200micron sock it’s out of control. Of course I bought one because I was too lazy to clean my old one.