• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do you feed your nems?

I have a few nems growing out. I haven't been feeding them too much, the occasional frozen mixed foods and some stray pellets but nothing else. I am curious what you all use. Would have posted some pics of mine, but seems like I am still new so cant post links yet.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Do you have clowns hosting in the nems or are the alone? When we had nems our clowns would feed them so we did not really worry about it. Some extra food is nice, but really it is not essential (I assume you are talking about bubble tips).

Do you have clowns hosting in the nems or are the alone? When we had nems our clowns would feed them so we did not really worry about it. Some extra food is nice, but really it is not essential (I assume you are talking about bubble tips).

Yup bubble tips, probably should have specified. I have them in a frag tank so they don't have clowns. Well one does, but the others don't.

I feed my LTA the smallest NLS pellets. I used to feed my old BTAs silver sides or cocktail shrimp but I think they were to large and probably caused the anemone more stress.

Pe mysis or any mysis will work. That's what I use but I rarely feed mine because it has a clown that feeds it. Id imagine they will eat anything meaty though, shrimp, clams, lobster, etc. just make sure it's chopped up into small pieces

Pe mysis or any mysis will work. That's what I use but I rarely feed mine because it has a clown that feeds it. Id imagine they will eat anything meaty though, shrimp, clams, lobster, etc. just make sure it's chopped up into small pieces

Yep, I have tried a few different foods. They seem to eat almost anything I throw at them lol. I am just curious what is the best over all.

I have a Haddon's carpet, and feed pieces of scallop, shrimp and fish. He also gets an occasional Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, and Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse, etc. :rolleyes:

I hear silversides are rough since they have skeleton. Could be mistaken though.

Yeah I stopped feeding large pieces after I started finding partially digested pieces floating in the tank the next morning.

They'll eat anything initially but often times regurgitate it a few hours later.

Jim has one of the nicest tanks I've seen around the area, some absolutely gorgeous corals. He will be the first person I contact when its time for corals haha

I feed mine thawed shrimp and a type of fish similar to silversides. Nothing bigger than a fingernail though.

Jim has one of the nicest tanks I've seen around the area, some absolutely gorgeous corals. He will be the first person I contact when its time for corals haha

Noted :)

I feed mine thawed shrimp and a type of fish similar to silversides. Nothing bigger than a fingernail though.

Cool, good to know. What fish exactly?

Thanks Xavier, I've got about a dozen frags with your name on them.:glee:

I will hold them for him :D

I use to do silversides, but now that I have a smaller system I'm worried about it regurgitating a half digested fish. Now I give it a squirt of the homemade frozen fish food that was made at the south meeting a while back.

I use to do silversides, but now that I have a smaller system I'm worried about it regurgitating a half digested fish. Now I give it a squirt of the homemade frozen fish food that was made at the south meeting a while back.

Gotcha, seems like most reefers feed their own food that they have made.