• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do you think about housing a Purple Tang and a Chevy Tang together?

I have a medium Juvenile Chevy Tang & have always wanted a Purple Tang. Since I will be getting a bigger tank next month (140g) I was tossing around the thought. I just saw on Liveaquaria they have them on sale this week.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Two different species and big color differences. I would think you are good to go. That said I think the purple would be fine. The chevron might get a little po'ed though. My kole was none to happy when the yellow came along. Those are the same species your thinking about mixing. The kole let loose for about a day. The yellow was yellow with red slices everywhere. Now everyone is happy happy

IMO the majority of times types like these are grouped it's fine and we usually only hear about the horror stories. Like Anthony said, adding them together and last is a good way to hedge the bet. I like to have a pair of damsels in each tank as well, like yellow-tails. This is a practice, when combining possibly aggressive fish, which reportedly dilutes some of the aggression. It's promoted by experts like Bob Fenner.

Oh just realized this was you Matt. The male trigger should be dominant so that will help a good bit with your pairing working out. Neither tang will have illusions of being the boss of the tank.

I have a Yellow,Purple & powder blue in my 120. I just added the purple the powder went right after him. But after about 20 mins the purple had enough and fought back. And now they are all best friends.. Like everyone else said add them all at the same time you should be ok.

The Purple is in and it's my Yellow Tang that is being the bully! The Yellow is the biggest of the 3. They Purple is very small. I put a mirror up to the glass last night and it seemed to help. If they don't work out their differences over the next day or so out comes the Yellow...

We put a sailfin in with a yellow and it was trouble for a few days but then was fine. At worse case, when you move everyone to the new tank I'm pretty sure the change and going in together will diffuse any aggression. Any update on ETA for the tank?

I have to go pick up the tank on the 21st. The stand should be ready to be picked up any day now. I have to go to Toms River to get them. It saved me a bunch of $$$ to pick everything up.