• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do you think?

image.jpg So I picked up a DC controllable return pump which I over sized so I can set up a manifold for reactors and any other future ad-one. Well it doesn’t fit in my sump ): . So I’m going to drill my sump and put a bulkhead in. My LFS was kind enough to throw me on for free and even pull one of his strainers out of one of the stores tanks.

Now to get to my question at what height should I set the bulkhead? Towards bottom, middle or as high as possible?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
are you putting the pump on the outside of your sump? I'm sure you know this but you want the pump to be level with the bulkhead. I would do the hight to be level with the pump where you are going to put it.

actually until the other day I didn’t know they had to be the same height. I found that out researching just couldn’t find how high. I have to build an inch and half pad for my pump to sit on in order to do that. Which will put the bulkhead about 2-1/4 inches from the bottom of the sump. Well thanks for the help

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
also I could be wrong but it looks like there no gasket on that bulkhead. Shouldn't there be a rubber gasket or am I wrong about that?