• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what does carbonate hardness and phosphate mean?

Hello All-

I purchased a reef kit, and i'm curious as to what I can do if the carbonate hardness is off. I have calcium supplement and stronium supplement. My second question is how often should I be putting in the stronium? I have Kent Marine buffer as well. how often? Thanks!

did you get a chance to read this link?
Water parameters

It might help answer some of the questions you have.

Then maybe you could post up some of the parameters here and then it'd be easier to answer the questions.

Carbonate hardness can be raised using Baking Soda. Calcium boosters usually only increase Calcium content in the tank, and not specifically hardness.

Well the rule is, don't dose anything you are not testing for. Of course, we all have violated this. If you do regular water changes, your trace elements such as iodine and strontium will be replenished. If you really want to supplement, I recommend you test for strontium. You can raise dKH with baking soda like concept3 says, but you'll also raise the pH (maybe you want that). You can use buffers that raise alk without affecting pH as well.