• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What eats halimeda

Hey everyone I am having a major outbreak of halimeda alge. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I am running a full reef, mostly sps and lps. I am trying to find something that will possibly eat it and won't harm myvcorals or fish. Any suggestions?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Funny that you mention this. I just got done looking at the Halimeda plants I have. Never had them in my old tank. used the same rock in my new tanks and have bushes in each. Right now I see no harm and I kind of like them. the good thing is that I do not believe that they will take over a tank and I know how easy it is to harvest if I need to. I do not think anything eats it, but I am probably wrong. My fish do like swimming through it however

Taz

I have no clue where mine came from either. But it is growing like crazy everywhere. I know it is calcium based and has the potential of taking calcium out of water. I also think it looks nice in some areas but it is starting to get out of control.