• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What fish can go together?

Im starting up a reef tank. Hopefully a 72 gallon, if not then a 55. What fish go good with eachother and what is the rule with amount of fish. I believe its something like inches of fish to gallons? I love true perculas and i want to base my tank around them along with a blue hippo tang. I also like the looks of the royal gramma! Any more ideas?

well. I think.... it all depends on what type of setup which boils down to fish only or reef.

- if you are doing reef then you want to stay away from fish taht munch on corals.
- if fish only then you just worry about the fish aggression.
- i'd probably stay away from damsels b/c they like to kill other fish. if you get a group in there, you'll be left with one damsel.
- in general, unless your tank is very large you try to keep fish that are not conspecific - like species b/c they start bickering and fighting. for example. tangs will fight with anther tang that looks the same as he/she.

good luck.

thanks, yeah i will be doin a 72 or 55 reef tank.. like i said my main first will be the true perculas.. but as time goes and i get more money, just getting an idea of what kind of other fish i can throw in there.. i would only go with one tang. and i like certain angels, are they aggressive?

NJ_ychung1 said:
- i'd probably stay away from damsels b/c they like to kill other fish. if you get a group in there, you'll be left with one damsel.

I was told that the damsels are a good starter fish to help cycle the tank.. i like the blue damsel, you still think i should stay away?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Damsels used to be the way to cycle the tank because of how hardy they were. They were one of the few fish that could survive a cycle and if not they were a cheap fish. Now you don't need damsels to cycle and if you keep them they can be aggressive little guys.

Just do some research on the internet (google the fish you are looking at) and read as much as you can about them. You can get away with a smaller tang (kole, tomini) in that sized tank and pretty much any dwarf angel. The type of fish you choose will also be determined by what type of tank you want. Do you want corals? Do you want an agreessive or passive tank? Do you want a bunch of smaller fish or a few big ones? Is your tank covered or open? How you want the tank to look like will dictate what fish you can add.

a pair of true percs and a royal gramma are perfectly fine.

dwarf angels like the coral beauty or the flame might be a suitable pick- but both have occasionally been reported to be non-reef safe.

the hippo (when small) is fine - but will be a pig and huge as an adult.

thanks everyone for the help.. i will check out that chart when i have more time!!.. My main focus is the true percs as for one day i hope to breed successfully.. i bought the book clownfishes by joyce wilkerson and its got a lot of great information.. thanks again

101 Saltwater Fishes gives a more detailed size chart and compatibility.

As Hawkeye said a hippo in a 72 G would be OK for a while but they get big and are really active, minimum 120 G is really true. They are also POOP factories.