• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What heater to buy

I am looking to replace my heater in my 120 reef any suggestions on a reliable one any help would be great

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I run 1 heater in my sump and 1 heater in my display. So take your total desired wattage and divide it between 2 different heaters. This way if 1 fails you'll still have a heater ICE. (This is how I do it)

I have 3 - 300w heaters in my sum, 1 - 150w in my salt water mixing station, and a 50w in my quarentien tank for the past year and a half attached to my Neptune Apex. All of them are Ehieim Jager TruTemp Heaters and I have only had one fail so far in the off position.

For the money you cant beat them.

You're going to get a surplus of different suggestions. I would say go with whatever one you have had the most success with over the years. (If you're new, you have options as you can see from above.)

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I agree with the titanium ones, can't shatter. You will need a controller for them though, at least mine requires one.

Dave

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I like the aqueon pro for stand alone use but would recommend a titanium heater if you do have a controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falconut

NJRC Member
I've use the aqueon submersible for years with no issues.

+1, I've had good luck with them too.

I've currently got a 200w & 150w in my 180 gallon. I had a single 150w in my 90 gallon, so you'd be somewhere between. Probably 2 - 150w would be good.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I use Neo Therms, I feel it's the most consistent. Will need a couple for that system though