• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WHAT IS IT!!?? How do I get rid of it? <HELP>

My tank has tufts of this algae, it is killing my corals, my zoos, and anything it gets near. It just smothers it after a while. None of my tangs eat it, Kole nor Yellow. My lawnmower blenny stays away. All crabs avoid it. Emerald and hermit. What do I do? I just took every rock that had it out. I still see a bit. It will take over soon. HELP

IMG_6953.jpg

IMG_6952.jpg

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It isn't a type of caulerpa, is it? Do you know when it was introduced? Does it have feathery ends? What does it look like IN the tank?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Almost looks like Sargassum but hard to tell. Any way to get a pic of it in the water?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you are going to toss it, I would be interested in getting some from you. I am always looking for different macros. I don't hardly ever get up your way, but macros are easy to ship.

panmanmatt said:
If you are going to toss it, I would be interested in getting some from you. I am always looking for different macros. I don't hardly ever get up your way, but macros are easy to ship.

sure, Matt, pm me your address, i will send you some. that is exactly how I got it too. a couple of years ago i thought it was cool.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How did you come up with this, Renee? What leads you to believe there's no cure (agressive skimming, no?).

chaoscat said:
Uh-Oh ...and here I just picked up a couple of frags from you at the meeting. :eek:

No, this macro algae is not on my cap. Only on my rock. One rock and that had an encrusted pocillipora and zoos. It isn't contagious! Only if it is on your rock, then you cant stop it from growing unless you remove the rock. No worries.

Whew!!! :) Unfortunately, it does sound like the only answer for this stuff is to pull out the rock and put it in a dark place for a while. I did see one guy say his Naso tang ate it, but that kind of thing is hit or miss.

panmanmatt said:

Why would you want something that's a pest and hard to get rid of?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mantis32 said:
panmanmatt said:

Why would you want something that's a pest and hard to get rid of?
Because I happen to like macro algaes. I have one tank set up that is nothing but different macros. It won't be in with any corals so if it covers all the rocks then that's fine.

malulu

NJRC Member
panmanmatt said:
Because I happen to like macro algaes. I have one tank set up that is nothing but different macros. It won't be in with any corals so if it covers all the rocks then that's fine.

i assume that tank would be separated from the rest of your system then? otherwise, would it be some how have (seed) float to your main tank eventually?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We found some on the pocci that came from you Renee! Eeep! I cut it all off and glued anywhere I thought might be at risk. All the more reason for QT! Whew. Crisis averted. A couple of small pieces got loose in the tank and you should have seen John & I trying to siphon it out!

malulu

NJRC Member
Phyl said:
We found some on the pocci that came from you Renee! Eeep! I cut it all off and glued anywhere I thought might be at risk. All the more reason for QT! Whew. Crisis averted. A couple of small pieces got loose in the tank and you should have seen John & I trying to siphon it out!

Hey, come on, Phyl, you are just being picky...
cause everything from Renee's tank is PERFECT! (she dip every corals... and QT... them...)
;D

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
malulu said:
panmanmatt said:

i assume that tank would be separated from the rest of your system then? otherwise, would it be some how have (seed) float to your main tank eventually?

Yes, all of my tanks are their own separate systems.