• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What is it?

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful this far. The kids in our school have started to get experience with water testing and knowing how the tank operates. As we are tring to get through the ammonia- nitrogen cycle, we noticed this little thing that looks alive. Does anyone know what its is? Looks like some kind of polyp?
Thanks,
SamK:joyous:
IMAG0180.jpgIMAG0181.jpgIMAG0177.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It appears to be a palythoa....a common soft coral. Must have been a "hitchhiker" on the rock. Your first coral!

Yep,polyps(green or brown) and if Im right looks like another one next to it.Easy enough to grow and 1 becomes 2,3...gd luck

thanks, we feel like it's our first baby. It is indeed the first thing we have. Hitchhiker or not, at least it shows the kids something can live in the tank. LOL.

Hi, I'm not sure where you are located, but I'd be willing to donate a couple of Zoa and Paly frags when your tank is done with the cycle.
I'm in Summit, NJ and work in NYC.

Corals

Hi,
Once we finish the cycle, we'll try for donations to build a living reef. We are in Mercer County, the school is in Pennington, about an hour from Summit, but any port in a storm. I'll get back, once we're ready to start stocking the tank. Thanks for your help. I'm always on the lookout for donations that can ease the financial burden to the kids.:)
Hi, I'm not sure where you are located, but I'd be willing to donate a couple of Zoa and Paly frags when your tank is done with the cycle.
I'm in Summit, NJ and work in NYC.

I'm not sure this is allow on the forums, but probably worth checking with the Board Members, but maybe put a list of what your looking for. I think many of us have TONS of stuff which can be put to good use for a good cause.

Hi,
This is a day later and another one, right where you said it was, opened up also. There is also a tiny featherduster on the same rock and a grouping of thin tube like polyps behind the small feather duster. Now that the kids are concentrating, we're able to find many more marine organism. Pretty neat.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sam, can you post a pic of your "feather duster" ? There is something similar to a feather duster called colonial hydroids. These can be considered a pest because they multiply and spread quickly... and then choke out other corals. You don't really have much to lose right now as far as corals, but once the hydroids start spreading they are really hard to get rid of.

If you can post a pic of it, we can help ID it for you.

Oh, and congrats on the new paly polyp(s)!

Feather duster.jpgfeather duster 2.jpg
Here are a couple of pictures of the "feather duster". Is it one? It's really small (1/2 inch or less), but the kids saw it before I did and they are curious, as am I.