• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What is this?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I bought two convicts two weeks ago and the bigger one has developed a darkened area at the belly. It looks like wrinkled skin. The other one does not have this problem. It eats great and appear to be gaining weight. The area has been expanding but seems to have stabilized in the last couple of days. Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453071077.785485.jpg

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Possible bacterial infection. Seachem metro with focus, if it is indeed an infection. Tough to tell from the picture

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but more than likely Its a bacterial infection. Convict tangs, in my many experiences, and humblest opinion aren't really cut out for home aquarium life. Ailments seem to attack them quicker than other tangs. It's just something about them. Like clown tangs, I think it may have to do with them not handling shipping too well and their thin skin. I don't hear about them ever lasting long much, even in the most peaceful and established environments. Not saying I've never seen minor success, but not as much as about 80% of the rest of the tang species. If you have a separate tank, get him out ASAP.

horseplay

NJRC Member
@FishGal - welcome to the club. Are you "miss saltwater tank" on youtube? If so I watched your convict tang video during my research. Good job.

You obviously feel very strongly about this issue. From my very limited experience (only 2+ week actually keeping them) I totally agree these are not beginner fish. One of the local LFS (Tropiquarium) has a RedSea all in one tank (about 100g) with a very fat convict tang in it. I have watched this fish for about a year. This is what convince me keeping them in aquarium is doable as long as the conditions are met. Wish me luck. I hope I can keep them long term and share my success with fellow hobbyists.

Thank you. No. I'm not her, but I've had TONS of experience with saltwater aquariums. I do wish you the very best of luck on successfully keeping them. I would definitely suggest putting your next batch in some sort of QT before adding them to your main display.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Sorry Darren. The fish looks better. The skin still look bad but color is much better. I have used metro quite a bit and didn't know it would help marine fish as well.