• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What nano cube system do you guys prefer

Hello guys ;D
I was considering a nano and was wondering what system do you guys prefer??
Nano cube, or Oceanic or whatever else?

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks

gene

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a 30 cube, 20 high and 12g JBJ, it all depends on what you want to keep inside them.

N

njstillwell

Get the cube with the 150 halide in it ...looks great and can keep everything you want in it...

Good info guys, 40 breeder is not what I had in mind, I was thinking of an All-in-One system. like JBJ etc. It's going to be for softies maybe some zoos. NO LPS

njstillwell said:
Get the cube with the 150 halide in it ...looks great and can keep everything you want in it...
That is what I was thinking, That way I don't have to worry about upgrading lighting later.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If all you want is zoas and softies, don't but the MH HQI systems. You will just be wasting money and will have to worry about termperature issues. I have zoas and LPS in the stock JBJ 12 g and everything is doing just fine. It really comes down to the size of the tank you want. I really like the JBJ and some people love the Biocube, so it is really up to you.

I've got the BC29 with the stock pump upgraded to a Rio6HF, Koralia Nano, 1 and 2 in the main display, and got rid of the stock lighting in favor of the Current Nova Extreme Pro t5s.

I keep sps, clams, zoas, lps.

If you are only looking at softies and zoas, the stock lighting should be good enough, but you may want to get another powerhead just to up the flow. Personally I think the Biocubes look the best out of all the AIO systems.

-Jay

What about the skimmer guys? Is that Nano skimmer that comes with the BC enough? or do you guys rig a sump with a skimmer??

I picked up the Tunze 9002 and shaved off some of the plastic on the Biocube so the cup would fit. There's a guy on nano-reef.com that makes square cups if you don't feel like shaving anything. But shaving it takes a whole 5 minutes with a razor blade.

Without an auto top-off though the Tunze is somewhat of a pain. The water level has to be pretty consistent or it doesn't skim much.

The pump i put on was a rio 1400. From everything i hear i wouldnt mess with a skimmer ..the modular surface skimmer works good enough, just keep up on water changes. the water level on nanos change so fast that you constantly have to mess with the level adjustment on the skimmers.....constantly as in daily! i was told this by manny at JBJ, he said even their own skimmer sucks.but i do hear tunze nano works good, but its over $150

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The skimmers for nanos at this point are pretty bad. There are a few good ones and a whole lot of bad ones and you will spend a lot of money trying to figure that out. I do weekly water changes which keep the water clean.

yuyiboy said:
What about the skimmer guys? Is that Nano skimmer that comes with the BC enough? or do you guys rig a sump with a skimmer??

Remora hob skimmers (the non nano btw) are still a popular skimmer. If you can run a sump though, then that would be ideal.

Thank you guys for All the great info, I will let you guys know what happens in this new endeavor LOL.
It would be a cool project to see if I can get a sump set up, maybe using a canister filter for the pump from the tank to the sump.
Will set it up first and then worry about that.

Again thanks guys.

Gene