• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What point is it Saltwater and not Brackish?

I have over the coarse of many moons have been turning my tank from freshwater to brackish and soon saltwater. My question is at what point is it saltwater so I can get a few little SW fish (Clowns). Right now my Sal is 1.019, but every week I do a WC with water that is 1.026 so it slowly goes up. Just trying to figure out at what point I should stay steady with the salinity vs a slight raise every week.

Added info: I went this route because a lfs had a g.tile/freshwater moray in complete fw(someone got out). Being my 6yr old loves eels I got it and have been slowly raising the salinity as they are actually brackish/saltwater.

Also if anyone knows what else I can try to feed this it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried silversideds, squid, shrimp chunks, ect. The only thing it eats is krill and the occational molly that goes missing when I'm trying other foods and it refuses them so it gets hungry.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Question 1 on salinity: I would probably want to be at 1.026, however if you are not doing corals or inverts at all, you could probably get away with less. Fish stores generally keep fish at lower salinites for lengths of time with no issues. I still would want it at least over 1.02 but that is just me.

Feeding an eel can be tough. When we had one, I fed it frozen silversides but even that was a challenge. The other thing to think about, eels don't really need to eat every day and can go a while in between feeding. If you don't mind live feeding, you can always try some ghost shrimp.

1430439385978-1955523606.jpg

Ghost shrimp are a no go either. I have about a dozen in there since the get go. As far as how regularly, I don't like going to long because the mollies disappear.

Just a thought but as long as those mollies are around you might have a hard time getting it to eat anything else.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I used to keep a fish only tank years ago and always kept the salinity at 10.24
Just keep adding mollies :)