• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what size sump

If you could I would probably do a DIY sump. If you have room you can always go for big plastic containers and just plum them together and have a huge refugium or whatever you want to throw in there. I regret not doing that since I could have had a bigger sump and added more water volume. However it does look ugly and wont fit under a stand. But if you got money vivid aquariums always have nice hand made ones www.vividaquariums.com/c-684-sumps.aspx And for how big it just depends on what you are going to want in there.

horseplay

NJRC Member
This is usually limited by what can fit in the stand. Get the biggest that can fit in the stand.

If you can setup a remote sump then I agree glass DIY is the best. It can be customized to whatever you need. All it takes is to get a few baffles from the glass shop.

Bad Fish

Officer Emeritus
The good thing is it wont be on a stand and will be built into a wall in it's own room in the basement

so then the sump size really has no limitation? I mean you could have a hundred tangs in there and have a 1000 gallon sump and it could work (not that any sane person would do that LOL).

Check out marc levenson's page:http://www.melevsreef.com/category/articles/acrylics/sump-designs

If you have a skimmer in mind - check the dimensions and that can help in sizing the sump. If your return pump is external or internal - will also add to the size factor. Also if you plan on having a refugium in there or not. Or need a spot for macroalgae etc.

Frag tank sump:
http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/frag-tank-sump

Too bad marc is in Dallas Tx. he came up once to be a speaker for one of our club functions. If the timing were right you could make him bring one up as his carry-on LOL. But shipping costs is what adds to it.

Myself I have a 120 display gallon with a 40 gallon custom acrylic sump made by a former member on this board.

I used a 40 gal. under my 180, I think would be a minimum for a tank of that size. If I had the space and my druthers, I would have liked to have a sump for equipment, and a separate display fuge separated into two sections, one for vascular type plant, i.e. eel grass / oar grass, and one for macro algea using a DSB and LR. The sizes of which would depend on the available space, but as large as possible.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Why not do what I did find a used 70 gallon and have baffles cut and silicone them where you want them this way you get exactly what you are looking for and have a nice sized sump fairly cheap.

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If he is doing an external pump, then would also have to drill the holes. I am contemplating my options also. I have an external pump. What about the adhi 60?

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If he is doing an external pump, then would also have to drill the holes. I am contemplating my options also. I have an external pump. What about the adhi 60?

For a while I did an external without drilling, it wasn't pretty but it worked. The trick was creatively using check valves. :highly_amused: