• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What supplements do you feed your corals?

I have softies, mainly zoas, mushrooms, and xenia....also have a torch coral with 3 heads....other than the trace elements that are in the salt I use and Kent phyto and a little bit of iodine, should I be adding anything else? I have always had HEAVY coralline growth and glass algae so I definitely have nutrients in the water. Should I be adding anything else specifically? Zooplankton or anything else? Also how much phyto should I be adding and how often? Thanks

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You don't have any main filter feeders (clams, gorgonians, etc.) so you don't need a hefty dose of phyto. The corals you have are not real sticklers for water quality or additives. You don't really need to feed any of them except for the torch which is just once in a while. If the tank looks good and the corals are growing, I would leave it alone.

Most of the additives out there are for SPS corals, there are some LPS foods starting to hit the market now (fauna marine). Let your eyes be the judge if you need to use additives.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Our phyto has an expiration date on it. Take a good whiff of it, old phyto smells really bad.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I add a capful of Reef Plus Vitamin A and Amino Acid supplement weekly.
I keep mainly softies: toadstool, finger, devil hand, shrooms, yellow polyps, torch, frogspwan, elegance and Pocillopora.

I've been useing Brightwell Code A+B + the occasional Marine Snow (also Brightwell) and recently the new Instant Ocean Reef Boost and Natural nitrate Reducer. everything has been look really good and i also went back to Good Ol' Instant Ocean Salt.

Anyone ever try Marine Snow? HEard good things about it? Is it phyto with other things added? Would I be able to just dose that in place of phyto?

long long ago dr. ron shimek called marine snow basically snake oil. However since it has been re-trademarked/branded by what is now known as brightwells - I don't know. i've decided that it's far better to observe the tank and see how the inhabitants respond than to assume that any one product is needed or helpful. So why not let us know how it goes?

as it is now - i agree with mnat - there's very little in your tank that appears to require phyto.

Supplements: Weekly (usually ;D) water changes, Kalkwasser topoff, iodine

Food: Fish poop, food the fish miss, target feed the larger LPS occasionally with krill/mysis/silversides (depending on the coral size) and don't over skim.

Yea I barely use phyto...like once a week, and not much at that....figured maybe the torch would do real well if I added other stuff, I kinda want it to be the center piece of my tank as it grows....instead of my MASSIVE mushroom...elephant, hairy..no idea what it is hahaha. Im gonna try to frag that big boy soon, but I cant even tell where the mouth is with all of its folds and such.

fantom555 said:
....instead of my MASSIVE mushroom...elephant, hairy..no idea what it is hahaha.

LOL. That is too funny. When I was first into the hobby a guy sold me his cheato and it had all of these blue/purple mushrooms intermingled somehow. I dutifully pulled them out and placed them in my display. That was in 2004. 6 years later the tank is still around with giant shrooms...lol. Of course I don't maintain the tank anymore but I check in on my rents every so often to see how it is.

Well I do basically what Bill does. I love the LPS stuff. I only target feed my RBTA and bubble coral. I used to target feed more but now there are so many heads I just gave up. Rods food has lots of stuff the fish miss really a good choice, though I usually feed mysis to the tank as the fish seem to like them best.

JRWOHLER said:
Well I do basically what Bill does. I love the LPS stuff. I only target feed my RBTA and bubble coral. I used to target feed more but now there are so many heads I just gave up. Rods food has lots of stuff the fish miss really a good choice, though I usually feed mysis to the tank as the fish seem to like them best.

I'm with you on the Rods Food. I just switched to that have noticed a difference already in the corals. Seem happier even without target feeding.

Will sells it AO. I am sure some other sell it.
It isn't cheap. I buy it once in a while and tend to use it every couple of days.

JRWOHLER said:
I used to target feed more but now there are so many heads I just gave up.

Amen to that!

Oh, I forgot the other secret ingredient! (I guess PaulB isn't around to keep me honest) BLACKWORMS!

Not target feed, but the frogspawn and hammers catch a lot of them. I have a couple of heads of those. ;D

All my corals seem to be growing good. Never feed anything extra, I think there is enough little particles in the frozed food and fish dung to feed the reef. Although i think if you add a little phyto or somethin i dont think it can hurt anything either