• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What Thermometer do you use and do you really think it's that accurate?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have about 12 Coralife Digital Thermometers and NONE read the same temp.. some are 5 degrees off.. As of right now I use a Lab grade Floating Glass Thermometer from my beer brewing days and a Lifegard Aquatics Big Digital Temp Alert just for the Alert feature but even that is 4 degrees off from the Glass Thermometer so i just have the alarms set at a average difference.. So i was just wondering what others use and do you really trust it on how accurate it reads

I use a regular aqua clear turn knob cheapy Thermometer. I set it for 76 my tank stays at 76. I have a glass thermometer suction cupped 5" below the water line to make sure the temp is right. If my living room gets warm the tank will go up to 78

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a Fluval M150 heater and that is 3 degrees off.. I even got in touch with Hagen in CA about it and they said it was a known issue.. I have mine on 81 for 78 water temp
Add edit: The on/off light on it is horrible.. it's blue and you can't hardly see it

I have a Fluval M150 heater and that is 3 degrees off.. I even got in touch with Hagen in CA about it and they said it was a known issue.. I have mine on 81 for 78 water temp
Add edit: The on/off light on it is horrible.. it's blue and you can't hardly see it

I'm using Tropic Marin for both thermometer and hydrometer, I prefer them since they never need calibration. I use two Hydor Theo heaters, but when I adjust them I don't go by the indicator on the knob, I just adjust to the temp of the tank water using the TM thermometer. As it turns out one dial is reading 72 and the other 74, water temp is ~77, so I wouldn't trust the accuracy of any of those dials on any brand.

Paul B

NJRC Member
See the big brass plumbing thermometer guage on the wall to the left of the skimmer? Thats my thermometer.......
Yes, I know..... Just because I like it.

See the big brass plumbing thermometer guage on the wall to the left of the skimmer? Thats my thermometer.......
Yes, I know..... Just because I like it.
Am I missing something? I can't see it.

I had the same issue with those Corallife thermometers. They are horrible. I also tried the Pinpoint wireless thermometer and I didn't like them. They were way off as well.

Now I use the temp probes on my Apex. I have checked them with multiple thermometers and seem to be right on.

I use Eheim Jager heaters. They can be calibrated using the dial on the top although I never really had to do it.

Ok nobody has mentioned it so I will. I had a stealth pro. What a piece of junk. The light would come on, but that's it. No heat.

Is there anyway to get a thermometer that is accurate gosh!

My theory is if I have the heater set to 78 and the thermometer reads 78 then if 1+1 = 2 then it probably is right lol.

I will most likely be adding an apex or aqua controller to my new tank when its setup and running, but even then how do I know that probe is properly calibrated :X

GOSH Sid opened a can of worms!

howze01

NJRC Member
Just like so many other things, is it a big deal if you think your tank is reading 77° and it's really 80°? If it's constant, what's the problem? Now, if you keep your tank at 81° and it's 84° that could be a problem. If you're corals and fish look happy with what your temp is at, who cares what it is?

Just like so many other things, is it a big deal if you think your tank is reading 77° and it's really 80°? If it's constant, what's the problem? Now, if you keep your tank at 81° and it's 84° that could be a problem. If you're corals and fish look happy with what your temp is at, who cares what it is?

+1

I think as long as the temp isn't too high or too low and you don't have dramatic temp. swings, you'll be fine.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Am I missing something? I can't see it.

Thats because at my age you start to lose brain cells and I didn't post the picture. It's the round thing on the wall. Is it accurate? I doubt it.

IMG_0460.jpg

Thats because at my age you start to lose brain cells and I didn't post the picture. It's the round thing on the wall. Is it accurate? I doubt it.

IMG_0460.jpg
Im wondering what the grey thing on the wall (to the right) with the long cord is?..lol I use a via aqua titanium heater that has worked really well.I didnt trust the glass ones since my last mishap a few yrs back.The setting is on 76* and the tank runs steady at 80* but thats cause of the lighting and pumps..

howze01

NJRC Member
What is that thing in the pic above the bucket, a spud gun?!?! LoL
I think that's his protein skimmer.

Im wondering what the grey thing on the wall (to the right) with the long cord is?..lol I use a via aqua titanium heater that has worked really well.I didnt trust the glass ones since my last mishap a few yrs back.The setting is on 76* and the tank runs steady at 80* but thats cause of the lighting and pumps..
Must have gotten that from an archeological dig somewhere, looks ancient.

IMG_0460.jpg
I hate to say this but I am glad they are your brain cells and not mine this time. LOL. Love that thermometer. Looks like it came out of a boiler room.

Paul B

NJRC Member
What is that thing in the pic above the bucket, a spud gun?!?! LoL​

It could be.

Must have gotten that from an archeological dig somewhere, looks ancient.

It is older than most members here

Looks like it came out of a boiler room.

It did, the Plaza Hotel boiler room to be exact. I worked in many buildings in Manhattan and whenever I found something I found interesting that we were going to upgrade, I would take the old one home. :grin:That brass thermometer probably costs more then my tank. But it works fine.Tang police

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, I'd love to tour your house one day... just to see all the DIY projects you've come up with, lol.

As for thermometers, I just use a coralife digital, and I had two that were both different, so not sure which is correct. I kept the one that was closest to what my heater setting was on, and I'm satisfied that it's a constant temp regardless of how accurate it is. I think fish and corals can adapt to any reasonable temp, as long as it doesn't fluctuate much from day to day.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, I'd love to tour your house one day... just to see all the DIY projects you've come up with, lol.

As for thermometers, I just use a coralife digital, and I had two that were both different, so not sure which is correct. I kept the one that was closest to what my heater setting was on, and I'm satisfied that it's a constant temp regardless of how accurate it is. I think fish and corals can adapt to any reasonable temp, as long as it doesn't fluctuate much from day to day.
I said to Paul along time ago I would like to do that.. maybe we could car pool?

Paul B

NJRC Member
just to see all the DIY projects you've come up with,

:grin: I was just looking around and it seems that my entire house and life is DIY :undecided:
I guess I just love doing stuff. This week I am working on my Daughter and her Husband's Halloween costume. They will be walking in the parade downtown Manhattan. It is the Brooklyn Bridge, all lit up. I have $500.00 into it already and it looks pretty cool. The problem with making it is that they have to get it into the subway and in an elevator so I had to build it so it folds up. Not an easy task with all the cables and lights but it is almost done so you may see it on TV on Halloween. I love this stuff.
It is 14' long.