• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what to feed an eel?

I have a 30" zebra eel..I've had this eel for almost a week now.. and hasn't bin eating the food ive bin giving him..The owner before told me he gave him raw unsteamed shrimp from the food market. but hasn't eatin it from me.

What other foods can I give my eel?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have a yellow eel that is very close in size to your zebra. He typically eats prawns from the LFS. We typically buy them at trop and they sell them individually frozen in a nice little box. We find these to be easier to deal with than the matt of them that most place sell.

Eels are not very good hunters of dead food (and terrible competitors for any food compared to most fish). For that reason, we feed our eel "by hand" using TONGS. Without this he'd surely starve as he'd be the last to eat. Not sure what size food you've been trying but the prawns e feed are no more than 1/2x1/8 in size.

He may take a while to acclimate to your system, get used to his new home and gain trust with you. Our eel eats 2-3 times per week, so feeding him more often would probably make him seem like he had no interest in food.

Alternatively you could also go to a local seafood store (an asian market will typically have a seafood section/wet section) and get the shrimp (with the head even).

I used to use a feeding tool which is a long tube with a T at the end with a long skewer used within to hold the silversides. This prevented the other fish from eating the silversides

It was cool seeing them pouce on those silversides. Then I got into reef type of tanks, which aren't good with zebra's or snowflake's

eels can go days or weeks without eating anything then you go home and your fish are gone...jk they will go without eating for some time. when hungary they will eat from your skewers.