• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What to feed corals

I have been keeping corals for 2 years now and always feed with oyster eggs, dt,reef snow, and rotifers . I was just seeing if any one uses any thing else. I read The book aquarium coral by Eric Borneman and he makes his own food up did any one try this ???

Yes, I've done it. The results are pretty gross but the corals like it. You have to be really careful to avoid overfeeding with that stuff (and golden pearls too). It's easy to pollute the tank. I think Eric would tell you that his recipe is somewhat variable, and as long as you get certain key things into it, there are a lot of variations. It's easier to get good ingredients at Asian markets than at the supermarket (shrimp with the heads, etc.) And you have to add some Selcon. I froze mine in a Ziploc bag, though some people use ice trays. It's good if you can get a couple people to go in on it, because you always end up making a ton.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you don't want the mess you can use Rod's Food. The reg fomula feeds both fish and corals. I use it and I know a lot of other people in the club do also.

Bob

i have been using this
p_25778_34649D.jpg

i used to use the " reef plankton" as well as about 12 other frozen foods, now i only have to keep 1 package in the freezer.... which makes my girl friend a big fan of rods also

I mix up a half cup of coral frenzy, pour that in the tank and leave it for 5-10 minutes, Everything opens up from that, then I feed Rod's Food. Great stuff, it feeds the whole tank. A little goes a long way.