• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what to put on bottom of tank to prtoect from live rock?

whats the best and affordable thing to put on the bottom of the tank so that the live rock isnt sitting directly on the glass? and where can i get it?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Egg crate, I believe, is the norm.  I guess if you want to put something else that would not allow contact with glass....plexiglass. Egg crate (light diffuser), and acrylic are available at HD.

I've heard of people using those plastic cutting boards, sorry I don't have details on it... I think there are places online that sell large ones or you put a couple to come up with the size you need etc. I've never used anything other then sand myself.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dabooth said:
you could also put like a small layer of sand , thats what I did and it worked nice

You don't want to use sand as a base for your rock. What happens is that the "diggers" undermine the rock and could cause for your rock to tumble over. You need to put rock directly on the glass, egg crate, cutting board, or what ever hard stuff you use. This way the diggers won't undermine the rock. Then add the sand. This way everything is nice a stable.