• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What to use vortech mp40 or 2 mp 10s

I have a 75 gallon tank and plan on buying ecotech's vortech pumps . I'm on the fence if I should buy 2 mp10s or just go with 1 mp40 . The mp40 is cheeper then buying 2 mp10s . so is it worth spending the extra 100 for two pumps or do you think I would be find with just one mp40 . I would also add that I have the radions so these pumps I'm adding is going to be wireless to sync them all together .

1 on each side is better, but the mp10's are debatably slightly on the small size for that tank. also are only good on up to 3/8" glass. i would put the 1 mp40 and plan on adding another when your budget allows. 2 40's at full speed are a bit too much, but they can be turned down.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're sold on Vortech, I'd go with one MP40 over two MP10's. I would think the MP10's would have to be run close to wide open, and I believe this causes them to eat their bearing that much quicker. The MP40 will be cranked back a bit and save the bearings. If you do end up with some dead spots with one MP40, you could always "fill" it in with a Jebao or Koralia. And the final reason....when you upgrade, you're ready with that MP40!

I had 4 mp 10s on my DB 80 and recently upgraded to 2 40's and 2 10's. More random flow. Also, the tens could barely push across the 4' tank on 80%. Patterns were insane, but just didn't like the lateral flow.

I love the feedback. Yes I'm sold on ecotech that they are an American company plus they don't take up tank space as well and third I've never herd someone with one say they hate it

I love the feedback. Yes I'm sold on ecotech that they are an American company plus they don't take up tank space as well and third I've never herd someone with one say they hate it

They do have a bit more noise than I expected but the controlling function and battery backup are a step up from the rest.

I had 2mp10's on my 90 and they were fine. I ran them at about 3/4 full with no problem. I only switched when I found a good deal on some mp20's which I converted to 40's. I run the 40's at about 1/3 full. IMO you would be better off with the two 10's just for the more random flow.

I had 2mp10's on my 90 and they were fine. I ran them at about 3/4 full with no problem. I only switched when I found a good deal on some mp20's which I converted to 40's. I run the 40's at about 1/3 full. IMO you would be better off with the two 10's just for the more random flow.

I guess it's just me. I like complete chaos when it comes to flow.

I just replaced my 4 koralia 3's with 1 WP40 on my 120 gallon and it's kicking some butt. Between the WP40 and my return pump things are poppin in there.

I have 2 MP40s on my tank, extremely quiet and generate a perfect amount of flow. If you have an Apex or other controller the programming is great and generates so many flow choices.

Mp40 hands down. I made this same thread about a year or so ago and wss told to get the mp40. I have an sps dominant tank and have it set on the 7th dot out of 12. The flow is crazy

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Tough call, if you ultimately want 40 go with one 40. If you want great random flow go with 2 mp10. I have 3 on my 55 and have crazy flow....the sps really love it! If you are an lps or softie reefer you may not need as much flow. As for wear and tear I have my10s at 100% reef crest mode and have not had any bearing issues after 1.5 years.I will note that reef crest slowly increases to 100% then falls back to like 10-20%, so it's not 100%all the time. With my 120 I'm going 2 mp40s I bought used and use one of my 10s for chaos.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Get a 40 and a 10. Then when you get a frag tankn you buy another 40 and mive the 10 over. Lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I recommend to go with 1 MP40 then expand it to 2 MP40. with MP40 you can adjust it up or down the flow you want. MP10 is a little less upgrade or wiggle room beside you might have to run at max which is noisy.

I recommend to go with 1 MP40 then expand it to 2 MP40. with MP40 you can adjust it up or down the flow you want. MP10 is a little less upgrade or wiggle room beside you might have to run at max which is noisy.

+1 which is why i switched to 40's, and kept 2 10's on my back wall.

Mp40 is the way to go I run two on my 90 gallon reef crest mode , I've got a mix of lps and sps and the movement is just incredable. They are at %75 they can be a bit finicky tho if they start getting gunk built up on them. I've been woke up by the buzzing from the opposite end of the house, almost sounds like the noise an MRI machine makes. Clean em up and they are good as new. It is a much larger investment going with two 40's but I'm glad I did. I was originally toying with the idea of a 10 on the left and a 40 on the right but what the heck it's only money right! I just received and email coupon from marine depot 10% off pumps use promo code choose2

I followed Mike's advice and use the yellow reef crest, I keep it pretty low because it is my safety pump in the case of a blown GFI. Gives it more time to run on a lower speed.

Good choice you won't regret it 1+ on reef crest ,also I never synced my pair so you get some crazy random flow pattern

i use reef crest... turned down 2 little lights from the strongest setting. i wasn't a believer in vortechs till i used them after winning them at macna. now i am a true advocate.