• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What type of algae is this??

I have this algae that is starting to grow in all different places in my tank. On my overflows and now some on my rocks. I know I have some Hair Algae growing on my overflows and frag rack, but this is new and is different looking. Here are some pics I took with my phone. How do I get rid of this stuff before it takes over??

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

howze01

NJRC Member
I have the same thing in my tank. Just one little tuft all the way at the top of the highest rock. Oh, and that would be green......

could be bryopsis which sorry to say is a real pain (I had it) What I did was raised my mag up to 1400 and picked as much off as I could. But in the end I took out the rocks and bleached them out.
Careful when your picking at it as I noticed some aptasia on your rocks also.

Looks like bryopsis. Good luck. That stuff is a nightmare. Raise the mag up to like 1600. When trying to pull it out make sure some pieces don't break loose. If it is only on a few rocks just remove the rocks.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Its most likely Bryopsis. Does it have a feathery or "fernlike" appearance??

The best treatment is using Kent Tech M, you cant just raise your Mag with any additive, as it is something in the Tech M product that kills this stuff. I had it and dosed Tech M at 1ML/ gallon daily for 1 month and it wiped the stuff out. Only side effect is it may kill some snails if you have any. This stuff is nasty and will not go away and it will spread all over your entire tank.

Bryopsis really? Where did that come from now? Nothing eats it?

I'm going to try to get a close up of it...I'm hoping it's not Bryopsis. Why can't it just be basic green algae that turbos will eat......

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Unfortunately nothing eats it, Tech M is the best treatment, and it works when you do it properly.

Does it look like this:

bryopsis-close.jpg

i dunno - when I had bryopsis it grew long and fine. It also sent runners to grow along the same connected piece of LR. I tried stupid things like smotherin the stuff with epoxy and placing a new frag on top. In the end - 2 gallons of tech M was the way to go. I didn't know about the side effect on the snails but it had no impact on my urchins (which did not touch this algae).

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks more like Turf Algae to me. Is it stiff like bristles on a tooth brush? I've had it before and still have it on one of my rocks.

I've been looking at pictures of bryopsis online and it looks like that is what it is. I've been trying to get better pictures of what I have, but I can't figure out how to get them clear and up close with my phone, my D80 or a P&S.

So is there any good reading on how to treat bryopsis? Where does it come from?? I haven't added anything to my tank in 6 months, if not longer. Do you think the lye mixture I use on my aptasia will kill it?

My best advice would be to remove any rocks that have it if possible and raise the Mag with Tech M as stated before. It is tough to beat. If you pick it use a siphon or it will spread. Nothing eats it. I got mine from a frag.

I just covered a huge patch of it with the lye solution. I'm going to let it sit far about an hour and see what happens. I will have to go buy the Tech M today or tomorrow.

I haven't added anything to my tank in a very long time, so I have no idea where it came from.

I read something saying Naso Tangs eat it....mine doesn't LOL.

I tried everything. Nothing touches it. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. I ended up scraping my rock.

Steve. I got it once from the store near you. I beat it by buying the epoxy u use to hold the rocks together and covering the rock with it. If the rock is not that big that and raising your MAG should do.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Lights have no effect on bryopsis and nothing eats it. The best way to do it is raising mag with Kent Tech M (other mags for some reason don't work).