• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What type of sand?

I tried barebottom but didn't really care for it. I like the look of sand , how it looks natural, and it brightens the tank. But i hate the sand storms from fish, and the constant particles flying around. So I'm starting to syphon out my sugar size sand. If i go to a coarse sand will this help with the particles flying around? i think that it would but not sure. What types of sand can i use and not have this problem? Crushed coral? The thing i worry about with a very coarse sand is detritus building up in it. Any one have experience with the coarser stuff?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We use the figi pink sand, it is a bigger particle than the oolite sand but not huge like crushed coral. Our bluespot jawfish and tiger shrimp can stir it up a bit but it settles back down pretty quickly.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike sounds like he's got the perfect solution. Also, TwinReef had KILLER flow in his tank with sand. You might want to search for his thread. I know I asked him what kind of sand he had that he could have sand not be disturbed by his flow.

jorge used Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. This the description on foster and smith website.
"This mixed-grade aragonite substrate is perfectly suited as a reef tank bottom cover or for use with nitrate-reducing systems. The addition of small shells makes it ideal for aquariums with mature jawfish or burrowing invertebrates. 1 to 1.7 mm grain."

I have the sugar size now with a lot of flow and it stays put very well. I have 1200gph from the return, 3- mp40's and 2- k4's. The sand isnt "storming" theres just these constant particles. So annoying. Tried a filter sock this past week cause i thought maybe i can catch them and that would be it, but more keep popin up i guess

I was thinkin about the seafloor stuff, the pic looks like its all shells though?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Our 20g has an mp10 running and the returns from our skimmer and fuge, it is mostly sps and we have a bunch of flow. Unless the pistols are digging, things dont get turned up. The 30g has an mp20 and the same skimmer and fuge (all running off of MJ1200) and again we don't have an issue unless the bsj is digging things up. We had crushed coral and hated it so this was what we went to almost a year ago and we will use the same sand when we setup our 57g tank. If you go into the nano forum you can see our threads when we replace it and what it looks like.

I have the super fine Oomlite(sp) and I rarely get any sand going around...other then when the big clam sneezes ;D. Honestly once it gets a bit matured it becomes pretty 'sticky'. Would say after 2-3 months.