• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What up

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site. Heard about you from a guy who works at Value Pet and aquarium center in Pennsauken. I live in Philadelphia and am in the process of building a 90 gallon reef tank.

I have some experience in salt and loads of experience in freshwater.

I plan to build a mixed reef with LPS, SPS maybe a clam, who knows!

Stocking will probably be as follows:

A pair of clowns
Hippo Tang
possibly a powder brown tang
mandarin in the far future of course
watchman goby

I read some of the articles and they were well written. Would have been helpful, but I have been a member of fishforums.net for quite some time and just recently found out about this site from my LFS... so i had done the majority of research prior to joining.

I have a 716W lightstrip with 2x 250W MH 15000k, 4x 54W actinic T5's and 6 LED moonlights. I'm hooking them all up to a timer etc.

I am running 3 maxijet 900's modded to give me about 1200gph each, hooked up to a red sea wave maker for flow.

Have a 20 gallon sump that I built to house the skimmer, HOB refuge, rowaphos and return pump.

I will be running with a 1.5" sugar-size sand bed in the main tank, because i like the aesthetics of sand over bare bottom. Also, will be predominantly, if not all Live fiji rock. I do want to drill a few to have a large arch going through the middle.

I will be starting a journal august 1st or 2nd when I move into my new place, so you can all see how it's going.

quick question for stocking.

Anyone keeping foxface rabbitfish, could you advise on reef compatibility if well fed?

I know they are generally docile fish, and have read that if you keep them fed, will keep nipping of corals to a minimum.

Also, I am looking into a coral beauty if given the same conditions of a foxface (well fed).

Hoping to here some opinions from people who have kept these fish.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a coral beauty in a 30g and he can be a bit bossy and aggressive. I am sure in a 90g one would be fine. We have a mixed sps and zoa tank and have not seen him nip anything, and we do keep him well fed.

Small angels I agree become less agressive in larger tanks, also I think as someone suggested their picking is so widespread that they don't bother any one thing. I had a pygmy angel and once in a while you would see him pick some coral then move on to pick something from the rock 30 times.

I have heard the opposite about the picking, that angels pick pick pick in one spot until it's gone, then move on.

I've still got some time before i have to decide on final stocking. Thanks for the input.

Boo pittsburgh.