• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

whats a good nitrates level

is it a good time to add one fish

Some people do from day one but that doesn’t mean it’s good for the fish, check your tank water for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite...mainly Ammonia is the dangerous one for the fish.
You have to learn to be patient in this hobby......patient and stability are the 2 main keys to have a successful tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I been running my tank for about 3 weeks now and the nitates is at 10 ppm ammonia is 0.25 and nitrite is about o is the normal ? also I seen some algae and I added 4 turbo snails

If you are reading ammonia I would not put fish in your tank. Now if you want to add a fish or two I would looked for a hardy fish, like a dansel. The problem with dansels is they can be hard to get out and be bullies when adding more fish

You are in the cycle. I would just keep the tank going as is until you read 0 on ammonia and nitrite. Persoanlly I didn't worry about nitrates too much but the other two need to be 0 for fish I believe. Also note when you add fish ammonia and nitrite will spike and then level out again as the tank balance out. This means do not add too many fish at one time.