• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What's gotten into my clowns?!

so when i first got my clowns they picked this one rock in the tank to be theirs. they're always cleaning it and if my hand would go anywhere near it they would sort of swim around me. Recently they've become much more aggressive. I can't stick my hand anywhere in the tank without them INSTANTLY jetting over and attacking my hand. They do it with a significant amount of force too. They do the same thing to the algae scrubber when i'm cleaning the tank. the largest one is about 1 3/4 at most so i on't think they are sexually mature.

mine do that to me all the time when i get to close to their homes laltey they have been staking claim to a few things like my feather dusters toadstool and zoas. but if i put my hand in the tank away from those areas they come up and swim into my hand like they want me to pet them so i do and they stay by me they are quite friendly unless i go near their homes and then they ram my hand or nip at the skin in between your fingers LOL they are comical

ReeferNets said:
sounds like mating behavior, cleaning is a nest preparation.

Do they bite the rocks?

Not that i've noticed. but they've been cleaning the rock since i got them which was about 6 months ago. the other thing they do is like brush a little hole in the sand behind their rock. they sort of swim really fast from one side of the rock to the other (behind it) fluttering to move the sand to make a hole. They've also been doing that since i got them though.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I had never felt like more of a wuss when I first got a pair of clowns and was afraid to put my hand in the tank. They little buggers kept biting me and even though it doesn't really hurt it was quite a surprise. Now I am used to it and let them nip away as I scrub the algae. I guess that is the problem with a 12g tank, the whole tank is their territory.

Sounds like bonding behavior, nest building, my Great Barrier Reef clowns did the same thing up until june 8th when they laid their first clutch of eggs.

mnat said:
I had never felt like more of a wuss when I first got a pair of clowns and was afraid to put my hand in the tank. They little buggers kept biting me and even though it doesn't really hurt it was quite a surprise. Now I am used to it and let them nip away as I scrub the algae. I guess that is the problem with a 12g tank, the whole tank is their territory.

Yeah i have a 75 gallon. i know exactly what you mean. hahaha i'm scared to put my hand in to feed myt angs their nori! it doesn't hurt but just the suspense of not knowing when they're going to do it makes me crack up and then i have to take my hand out before they do it! haha. i never thought i'd be bullied by something smaller then 2 inches!

ReeferNets said:
Sounds like bonding behavior, nest building, my Great Barrier Reef clowns did the same thing up until june 8th when they laid their first clutch of eggs.
Really? how long did they do it for? i feel like 7 months is an awfully long time. what are some more signs i should watch for and how will i know when they will lay their eggs? Looks like i'm off to do some research! The only other fish i've had breed were my african cichlids when i did freshwater.