• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What's happening to my corals?

Hi Guys.

Three Weeks ago I started to loose the skin/polyps on an Orange Digi and had to get rid of it. The skin just started to separate from the skeleton! Now today I was looking for growth on the base of my green acro, and I saw the same thing!

What's happening? Help!

Erik

erid said:
Hi Guys.

Three Weeks ago I started to loose the skin/polyps on an Orange Digi and had to get rid of it. The skin just started to separate from the skeleton! Now today I was looking for growth on the base of my green acro, and I saw the same thing!

What's happening? Help!

Erik

I had that happen when I had too much light. Try to move it lower in the tank if you can.

Done. I'll keep an eye on it. What are the signs of bacterial infection?? Now I'm paranoid...

Thanks,

Erik

If it is like small bubble forming, I had something like that on my birds nest. Mine was definitively not from too much light because it happened on two corals on different depths both being only under PCs. To me that looked only as bacteria. Its started only when I introduced a new fish and a new food for that fish. I still occasionally have it on those corals. Bubble grows to 1/4", bursts, exposed skeleton, and then few days latter the exposed area is covered. The corals still grow, though i can't say if the pace was slowed down, because they were only a few months old frags. Try leaving the coral to see if it will recover.

AK 11.2
Cal 450
Mg 1350
Ph 8.4
Nitrates 0

MY water is RO/DI only.
The coral was ok for like three Mos, I just noticed this change yesterday.

Chemistry looks good.

How old are your bulbs and what type of lighting do you have?
Do you notice any hair algae growing in the tank?
Do you by any chance have a phosphate test kit? If so what reading do you get?
Have you recently added ANYTHING to the tank?

Carlo

skinny little worms coming out of the polyps? Am I seeing things?

I'm about to toss this thing. Will it spread?

Erik

Do you have any local reefers near you? If so maybe they could throw it into their tank for a while to see if it would/can recover?

Carlo