• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What's in the bottom of your tank?

I'm in the process of setting up my new 72, but I'm stalled on what to put on the bottom. I've always run my smaller tank with a Jaubert Plenum in the bottom of it. I'm trying to decide whether or not to duplicate that in the larger one - or do something else entirely. There is so much conflicting info out there.

So, what do you use?

i went with 1lb of live sand per gallon in my 180g. it is about 2-3 inches all around. then i used 2lbs per gallon in the 55g refugium. about 5 inches all around.

My 30gallon seahorse tank has about an inch of medium grade sand.

My 120gallon reef has about 1 1/2" fine sand (hate it).

My fuge has about 3 inches of fine sand and I think I need to add more.

my 55 had coarse/mix of live sand from the gulf of mexico...after i poured the sand - caught these little fellas in the bottom of the bag

brittlestars.jpg

The downside tho is I'm pretty sure some non-beneficial hitchers came along - most notably a cirolanid isopod. So i'm thinking in my new 120 tank - will just go with a 2" layer of "dry" sand and seed it with a cup of my existing tanks' sand.

I've got about 1.5" of figi sand in my nano & about 2" of crushed coral in my 90. The crushed coral was not my choice and it needs to be cleaned twice a month, but it looks really nice when its clean.

Kenny Z.

chaoscat said:
Anybody use anything like this?

Called "Rock lifts". I found out about them from this thread.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85616

The purpose, from what I can find, is to keep your rocks up off the sand. Supposedly to allow clearing detritus out from under rocks and to prevent creating dead spots in sand.

Actually you can do something similarly (just less fancy) with PVC. Paletta's book New Marine Aquarium has a pic of one. In addition one could be to drill rods into the LR to stabilize the structure/ or use those zip-ties.

Btw - one reason I'd consider setting it up would be if I ever wanted a goby/shrimp pair or other fish that liked to "DIG" in the sand/underneath the LR. The last thing I'd want is a LR avalanche.