• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Whats wrong with my Desktop?

Mike:

call me and I'll connect remotely to the computer and take a look.. (assuming it stays up long enough)

I'd want to see the log files before I start changing hardware.

is it a genric home build computer? do you have the Motherboard model?

430 Watts should be enough, unless you are running high end video or lots of hard drives.

I have lots of questions, it would be easiest to talk....

Eric
732 598 9252

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Eric. it's not the power supply.
I stopped at PC City 35 in Hazlet to pick up a new one. They advised against it and said they'll test everything (Thanks Charlie)and if the Mother board is bad, they'll call and see if it's still under warranty
Bottom Line is, I'm gonna have them build me a new one. With all the latest stuff now and with the dual chips on the processors, I may as well get one built now. thanks for the help

We're even getting a new NJRC member out of the deal. Charlie's band member friend (Dan)is a reefer and chemist. Hope to hear from him soon.

Usually if a pc shuts off it is because the cpu is overheating and the machine has a max temp shut down..

Just a suggestion.. Depends on what shutting down means.. turns off, blue screen then shut down? Are all the cards in the machine seated properly? Check the fan on the cpu....

Has your problem been resolved yet?

but, Yeah it looks like it could be the powersupply at the least, or something on the motherboard blew, Where did you buy it? did you get a service plan?

If you bought it at Best Buy and have a service plan just bring it in to Geek Squad and have them look at it, or even if you dont have a PSP, most of the time they can look at it for free, or at least at my work. (I work at Best Buy in Deptford)

keep us updated on how things are going.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I trashed it.
Picked up the newest Compaq from Best Buy in Holmdel and their Wide screen flat panel HP monitor. Very happy with it.

mikem said:
I trashed it.
Picked up the newest Compaq from Best Buy in Holmdel and their Wide screen flat panel HP monitor. Very happy with it.

Oh ok, I never knew where the Holmdel store is but it is in the same territory as my store. Question? Did you pick up the service plan? I believe it is not much, only about 100 for 3 yrs, I only ask because I have always made out on the service plans.

What Compaq did you buy? 5410? or the 5450? Hopefully not the 5410 because it has only 1gb of memory.

Well anyway good luck with the purchase.

-Dan

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dan.
I got the 5510. Didn't get the service plan. I usually get a new PC after a year.

mikem said:
Dan.
I got the 5510. Didn't get the service plan. I usually get a new PC after a year.

Oh nice! Our store didnt get the new models in for compaqs.

I go through computers about every two years and replaced under service plans. Well glad things are better, but I'm off for the night. Night.