• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What's your favorite LFS and why?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I thought it would be interesting for folks to post up what you like (most) about your LFS. Why you frequent the one/s you do an what keeps you going back? This is a good opportunity to give props to your favorite stores.

Aquatic Obsessions, hands down.

Will listens to his customers, stocks what they want at fair prices and gives great advice.

He will sacrifice a sale to prevent an animal from going into a wrong envirionment and will always defer to another expert if he is not sure of the answer to a question.

AO has been very supportive of NJRC and suggests NJRC membership to their new customers as a means of becoming knowledgeable about their hobby.

And they got a nice couch so fat old men can sit and watch the tanks while sipping their coffee! ;)

PETCO - "WHERE THE PETS GO" ....LOL

relax, that was a joke.... :p i'd say i frequent auatic obsessions almost exclusively for all of the above stated reasons...

REEFLECTIONS said:
PETCO - "WHERE THE PETS GO" ....LOL

relax, that was a joke.... :p i'd say i frequent auatic obsessions almost exclusively for all of the above stated reasons...

I take offense to that! ;)

Definitely AO, if you ask me.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
AO for all the same reasons Bill stated.
Trop when I don't have the time to go to AO.

I'm in the south, so I guess the best around me (within an hr drive) would be Aquarium Center in Blackwood. They usually have what I need in stock, and have a decent selection of fish and coral. Prices aren't the best, but bearable.

And I sometimes mistake adesimone1's house as a LFS ;D (now if I could only talk them into dry goods)

Red Sand is my favorite. Excellent prices, healthy stock, and an all around friendly atmosphere. The owner Feng, will go out of his way to get you what you want and he will throw in extras with your order.

I must say Aquatic Obsessions is my store of choice for many of the reasons stated by other people above. I've been going there since jazzsam told me about the place. They have a great selection. great prices. and best of all you always see a member of this club there and you spend plenty of time just BS'ing away. I met plenty of nice people. Usually my wife has to call to see where i am after i say i'll only be gone a little while.

Harry

I dunno... haha ive gotten a few dry goods from them. Hopefully ill be back sometime soon to get some corals that my new MH light setup can support :)

TheGuyFromNJ said:
I'm in the south, so I guess the best around me (within an hr drive) would be Aquarium Center in Blackwood. They usually have what I need in stock, and have a decent selection of fish and coral. Prices aren't the best, but bearable.

And I sometimes mistake adesimone1's house as a LFS ;D (now if I could only talk them into dry goods)

malulu

NJRC Member
i now, mostly go to RedSand, owner is very friendly, and very good price for fishes and corals, plus extra for free...

last time when he cracked his frag tank, he call me at work said: "david, just come by, and take anything you want from the frag tank... they are free!!"
can't get somewhere else better than that...
;-)

can we do a thread for least favorite lfs? or is that too slandery? i'm just curious how many people would put down animals and things.... that place is like darla's tank(from finding nemo) fish go in, and are never seen again.... :'(

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I think I've been to almost all LFS in NJ- Philly Area.

The Hidden Reef has the best selection and prices for Dry Goods Around. If you have a question Ziggy knows the answer.

Trop has best display tanks and awsome collection of fish and corals. If i'm even close to the shore I got to Trop and take family friends there just to see the tanks.

In this order:

I like AqOB.

I like OC II.

My family loves AqOb (odin will give my 2 yr old a face wash. :eek:) ). But AO doesn't carry non-fish pet items - so I go to OC II.

I like RedSand but I haven't been there enough to make it a "favorite".

I believe in the L in LFS. So i go to the closest which is Aquarium Center. Would love to visit AO and Trop. Never been there. Always seems so hard to get away from here so i like close

since im way way down south i dont have a large selection of lfs"s, but ocean aquarium in pleasantville usually has the dry goods i need and for the most part a nice selection of fish, i just wish they had a better selection of corals, thier not bad if your into softies, but im leaning in the sps direction now so im limited for local selection

AO I never had a bad experience or was given bad info from there . Will has always done right for me and after reading the majority of these posts it seems like he does that for all who enter his store,customers and browsers alike. And lets not forget to spread the love and mention Gary. Its worth the trip just to chill with Odon.

PS Gary has he any blastos for sale (lol).