• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What's your "Smartest"/"Dumbest" Fish?

Let's hear some stories on your smartest/dumbest fish. Here are some of my candidates.

My first successful CBB was super smart. He would scratch his nose at glass "begging" for live blackworms. He would watch other food float by then tap on the glass again "begging" for the good stuff. He would nudge my arm when it was in the water telling me to feed the worms. Unfortunately he died when my QT heater sent voltage/current into tank.

My next CBB is one of the dumbest fish I got. He has now mistaken nassarius snails for worms at least 7 times. He grabs their "tentacle/antenna" from the sand and when he realizes it's a snail, he flings it across the tank. He ignores blackworms and thinks he's a mandarin hunting pods in the rocks and glass. He nipped my banggai's spot thinking it was a pod. He nipped my clam after seeing my Powder Blue do it. Both thought the spots were food. He nipped my scooter blenny thinking the sand on his fin was food. He fights with his own reflection for hours at a time. He was about to bite the lawnmower blenny but the blenny showed him who's boss. I got this off a fellow reefer and of course, he had full blown ich the day I put him into my (at the time) ich free system. And of course, he's too dumb to scratch himself. No big deal...he's eating all the pods like a pig and of course he ignores the featherdusters.

Another candidate for not that bright is my new powder blue. I figure I just dump him into the system. I already got ich and he ate like a pig in the store. Well he eats like a pig in my system...just not what I expected. He nipped the clam thinking food. Of course he now has ich and uses the clam mantle as his scratching post. Poor clams. They probably will be harassed to death. He decided to bite my scooter thinking it looked like hair algae. What confused me was the scooter allowed about 6 bites before responding. He ignores the food once it hits the sand even though he was gobbling it up in the water column.

Another dumb fish I have is my hippo. Almost a year now and he is still terrified of me. I show him the food and he gets all happy and waits for me but as soon as I put food in the tank, he must hide. He has to rush out of his hole, take a few bites and hide again. He tries to squeeze into spots that don't fit him. He killed my cleaner wrasse. Attacked the cleaner as soon as he hit the water and never let him swim out into open water. He tears apart the nori but hardly eats it. He constantly must sample every food even those he hates and has seen time and time again.

Last, my false percs. I have now introduced them to a sebae, a carpet, and a few BTAs. Ignore and avoids all. Will host in cabbage leather, hair algae (!), and water surface. No clue what an anemone is.

calaxa said:
What confused me was the scooter allowed about 6 bites before responding.

i think your dumbest fish is the scooter.

the scratching against the clam is smart, the hiding of the hippo is natural habit, the clowns dont automatically host an anem and can actually host anything they feel safe/confortable in including live rock, powerheads and ive even seen them in clams.

LOL, Jon....didn't even think about how stupid he is for allowing the powder blue and CBB to bite him that many times without responding.

Smartest? I've got to say my Oscar - my $3.50 Oscar. Is about 13" now, literally keeps an eye on you no matter where you are in the room. If you get too close, it looks like he's barking! Smarter than some dogs!

Here he is online: http://www.sandeeland.com/FishCam/ - check on FishCam, the 60g reef is doing so well! :)

cam_2.jpg

i can't say smart or dumb but my yellow goby is way cool.

soon after i got my pistol shrimp, the shrimp started digging all over the place. then after it dug out a good sized cave it blocked off all the entrances and disappeared. the goby disappeared with the shrimp. i went on a mad search for either the shrimp or the goby. as it turns out the shrimp molted which explains why he blocked off the cave entrances and hid. i didn't understand why the goby disappeared but then i realized the goby was helping protect the vulnerable shrimp while it's exoskeleton was hardening. i actually found them "spooning" in the corner of the cave. it was a weird sight to see....

My sailfin's pretty dumb. Always trying to swim into the current of my PH to get to the algae not knowing he could easily just swim from behind the PH.

white/black stripe damsel.. knows what a net is and can efficiently avoid said object and cause other fish to swim into it.. never goes near open water is a net is around either

ds4x4 said:
white/black stripe damsel.. knows what a net is and can efficiently avoid said object and cause other fish to swim into it.. never goes near open water is a net is around either

Yeah my damsel would do that too. Forgot about him since he's in solitary confinement. When the net came, he would always push another fish into it and he never fell for the fish baggers. I finally caught him by lifting the rock he slept in. My flame angel would jump out of the water to avoid being caught.

calaxa said:
Forgot about him since he's in solitary confinement.

no kiddin. mine is as well. instead of being in the big section of the sump he has been staying inside the tiny baffles .. Go figure

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Our new long nosed hawkfish so far is the smartest fish we have. He will follow you with his eyes as you walk around and knows when he is going to get fed.

I love those longnose hawks. I cant keep them from carpet surfing and gave up rather than killing another one.even tried the eggcrate around the edge 3" and he still jumped.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I love those longnose hawks. I cant keep them from carpet surfing and gave up rather than killing another one.even tried the eggcrate around the edge 3" and he still jumped.

Sometimes fish can be to smart for their own good.

My false percs have bonded with the feather dusters in my tank. They each "sleep" in one at night. I don't know if that makes them smart or stupid but they seem to enjoy it.

clowns will host anything and everything that they feel safe/comfort in. live rock, the side of your tank, corals, ive seen a few in clams ( and even a picture of a clam shut on a clown )