• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where in NJ to get a hedgehog?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Well the title about sums it up,my wife and kids have been wanting one and I have lost the battle.
I can't seem to find any breeders or stores that carry them in NJ.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know but I'm sure glad my kids don't frequent this site. I don't need them getting any crazy ideas!

blange would probably be able to give you the best advice as he once owned a pet store. I would think your best chance of finding one would be at your local 4-H fair, but they don't come around until summer.

If you have a live trap - you could come to my backyard and grab the guy that digs under our fence and comes thru munching the yard...lol.

It's going to be hard to find a place now in NJ that sells them cause the place needs to have a license that cost a couple 1000 dollars to sell them to make only a couple hundred dollars a year selling them.. But best of luck with your search..

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I heard there was some restriction in NJ on them. You can always check with a local pet store. If all else fails try PA or NY pet stores. The law could be different.

paintman27 said:
blange would probably be able to give you the best advice as he once owned a pet store. I would think your best chance of finding one would be at your local 4-H fair, but they don't come around until summer.

Not owned, but managed. Almost owned one in Somerville a few years ago.

I just did a quick scan on reg's, boy have things gotten more complicated since I ran a full line shop in the 70's and 80's!

European Hedgehogs require a $10 fish and game permit. Licensed pet stores will require you to apply for one and I believe they can still issue them.

I'll mention the dreaded A&T words as the only place I know that would likely have or order them in my neck of the woods. A&T would be Animals & Things in Woodbridge, the very company I ran stores for in the distant past.

Ducks and runs to the deafening chorus of boos!

http://www.hamorhollow.com/

They're in NH, but I've seen advertisements of theirs that state they service NJ. Worth a shot.. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but maybe they can also refer you to someone they know down here...

Found it in their signature on the following link. It's a bit old, but you know the old saying... Once a hedgie...always a hedgie... (ok, I made that up, but they probably say it)

http://www.hedgehogworld.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,63/func,view/catid,7/id,2055/

Reason I ask, is, You should call Adam's Pet Safari in Chester, he gets them sometimes and can get you one if you ask him. Tell him I sent you. I have a real good hedgehog book for you if you want (Pygmy African Hedgehogs as Your New Pet).

What is it with reefers? If they made a coffin out of cell-cast acrylic with thumbscrews, they'd be shooting themselves so they could get buried in it.

Even my wife was impressed, and she has only the vaguest idea what it is.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Hey Jim
I never thought of Adam I also know him very well.
DId he ever get his systems in check?
Last time I was in there the reefs didn't look that great.