• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where to go Fishing in my Boat.

Hey Fellas,
So I finally bit the bullet and purchased a boat. 2006 Bayliner Cuddy Cabin Cruiser. Its a 21/22Ft and I have taken it a few times out on the Delaware River from Trenton to Philly.

MY dad and I are ready to get it into the saltwater and do some Blue/Striper/Flounder/SeaBass/Porgy any fishing type of fishing. We drove down to LBI and scouted the area there and like the launch there. We DON'T know where else to try and launch where we can get some real good action without being FAR open water.

Do you guys have any tips/tricks/ or locations?

We have a older Humminbird fishfinder (pirhana greyscale series) and we plan to upgrade to something much better like a Ray Marine later on. We are hoping to get into as school of blues or SOMETHING this weekend.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Haven't boat fished in way too long, but I always did pretty well fluking in the manasquan river by the hospital and there's usually good fishing by the manasquan inlet and shark river inlet. Probably not much help but it's a start. Just like anything putting time in and trying new spots is going to be your best bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get invited to go boat fishing from some of our chemicals vendors about 4 times per year, boats always goes off Sandy Hook but not that far from the shore, you can try the Sandy Hook bay too. Both areas are good for stripers, blues, flukes, flounders and poguies on the bay side.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I get invited to go boat fishing from some of our chemicals vendors about 4 times per year, boats always goes off Sandy Hook but not that far from the shore, you can try the Sandy Hook bay too. Both areas are good for stripers, blues, flukes, flounders and poguies on the bay side.

I agree. There's several decent ramps along the Bay. Only a few minutes from the Ocean. You can always follow the Party Boats to see where all the good fishing has been.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
One day I was drifting the same spot away from the fleet and we were getting our fair share and some :encouragement:. All of a sudden one of the party boats out of Atlantic Highlands must have been watching us because they came over and idled in the best portion of the drift. I used to tell people that it wan't right to chase the party boats because I didn't think it was right. I still don't do it but if you're gonna do it, do me a favor make sure you get really close to them so you can hear the Captain curse you :smiley_simmons:

Lol

My dad and I just want to lay into a few for the day. It's like a rite of passage since I bought the boat to land at least one fish you know lol. I just hope we catch SOMETHING

Toad can you elaborate maybe some directions or something I can google maps ? What's the action like around you ?

Sorry...im in waretown..08758..try looking in lacey, forked river, waretown, barnegat.... we get lots of fluke, stripers, weakfish, blowfish and such...from my marina to barnegat inket is about 10-15 boat ride

Nice my dad and the kids would probably be super happy just catching snapper blues. We talked about going to Atlantic city and trying for some sea bass or tautog as well when we get to know the area a little better.

You guys with boats do you just drive around the water a bit and look for schools to pop up on your fish finder ? Or do you target a specific location to drop your line?

I have heard of looking for bunker schools where birds are feeding and even trolling a large area for a bit. I heard about chumming near a bridge or near a school to get the fish under the boat as well.

I do both fishing from beach and boat...i have always fished these areas and kniw pots esp to target specific fish..if you want some time myeelf or my brother can probably go out with tou and show you...if you go out barnegat in let there are 2 reefs not far off shore..we know these well as well as the back bays

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
It's really hard to try to tell you how and what to do and without a decent plotter it's even harder. Here goes, right now they are catching stripers in raritan bay the boat ramp in key port is a good choice or Leonardo. The problem is that they are trolling for them with bunker spoons or umbrella rigs with shad bodies. Mostly using specialty trolling rods riged with wire line to get the baits closer to the bottom. I have heard of some blues caught just outside the inlet in Manasquan but once again it's trolling you might be able to jig a couple if you can find them but it's harder without good electronics.
Later in the season it gets a little easier with sight fishing but now it's a troll game out there.

I know they are catching blues in the ocean city area and there has been a few good sized stripers caught off fortescue.

Hockey I know you know the water a bit having been on a lot of those boats. As far as electornics we have a basic Humminbird Pirhana Fishfinder and depth gauge. I plan to upgrade to a plotter/better fishfinder VERY soon. Probably the next few weeks/days. Any reccomendations for something reasonable? I know during hte summer sight fishing will probably get better as will the weather. We are hoping that our basic finder might at least get us near some blue's or if we get some stripers that would be nice. We are still learning the water.. how the boat handles in the water and practicing launching and loading. Next year we will probably try and find a nice slip someplace to keep it in the water but we are unsure.