• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

where to place skimmer in sump

I picked up an adhi 60 sump, it has a first chamber, 2nd chamber could be used as a refugium or something else, filter pad and then the 3rd chamber. I have my mr-2 in the first chamber which is pretty tight. Should I have the return of the sump dump back into the first chamber or into the 2nd chamber? I might have a refugium, i might not not really sure, might just use it to keep a bunch of frags down there. Im also using a submersible for the skimmer feed, what chamber should I place that in?

As far as I know the MR2 is an external skimmer. It shouldn't go in the sump at all. It should go outside the sump and be placed a bit higher than the sump itself.

But I could be wrong so wait for someone else to chime in.

MikeNapoli said:
As far as I know the MR2 is an external skimmer. It shouldn't go in the sump at all. It should go outside the sump and be placed a bit higher than the sump itself.

But I could be wrong so wait for someone else to chime in.

Pretty sure it is both. Id rather keep it outside the skimmer, but I dont know how much room Ill have for other stuff underneath the tank with the skimmer out

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would draw water for the skimmer out of the first chamber. The fuge should be in the middle chamber, the skimmer can dump into that if possible. As far as the MR2 goes, it can be used either in sump or out of the sump, but to get the best performance out of it I would use an external pump. I know they recommend a Mag 18 as one of the pumps you can use, but I feel like it wouldn't power the beckett(s) efficiently.