• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which fish to add?

Hey I currently have a 24 gallon NC DX with the following n it:

bicolor blenny
six line wrrase
perc clown
fire shrimp
peppermint shrimp
whole bunch of corals (softies)
some mini brittle star, not sure how many maybe 5-10
10 nassarius snails
2 turbo snails
8 nerite snails
4 cerith snails

What kind of fish could I add? All of mine are very small right now 1.5 inches for the 6line and clown and like 3 for the blenny. I ,like color variety and different types of "swimming". Could I do a flame angel or no? Royal Gramma? Some sort of goby?

Maybe a Yellow Angel fish or Pygmy angel as well? I know sites say angels are prone to nipping at corals? Will they nip at softies? Anyone had any experience with smaller angels and reef tanks? Will the eat flake food like everything else in the tank? Thanks!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Add another perc clown. This way you will have a pair which I think is always nicer. Most angels usually have a 30 g minimum, however we have kept juvenile angels in a 20g. They eat what our other fish eat but we also supplement with nori sheets. A goby would also probably be fine.

I was actually thinking about a firefish of some type. I will have to look at the petstores to see of they have them. Will they eat flakes?

fantom555 said:
Will they nip at softies? Anyone had any experience with smaller angels and reef tanks?

I've had experience with pygmy angels in a reef and it's all bad. Eventually you'll add a coral they like and then it's a goner. IME they don't just sit there and nosh on the coral until it's gone. They basically take one bite as they swim by on their usual lap around the tank. Unfortunately in a small tank (my 125) that lap dosen't give the coral enough time to recover and they eventually stop opening and die. The angels I've had typically went after gorgonians and LPS and always after the expensive ones first.

fantom555 said:
I was actually thinking about a firefish of some type. I will have to look at the petstores to see of they have them. Will they eat flakes?

Well mine stays at the bottom of the tank but is always out and i feed them only brine shrimp. Brine shrimp is pretty cheap anyway.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
fantom555 said:

Also make sure your tank is covered for a firefish, they do jump.

mnat said:
fantom555 said:

Also make sure your tank is covered for a firefish, they do jump.

Thats funny everybody says they jump but i have 2 purple firefish in a uncovered tank and they never jumped lol

I guess its better safe or sorry
Or maybe i will learn the hard way when one jumps out and dies lol

I have always fed my fish flakes and never had a problem. Going to the fish store to get brine is too much hassle, plus they smell horrible. As far as my 6line goes hes best friends with my clown they swim all around together and doesnt both anything at all really.

fantom555 said:
I have always fed my fish flakes and never had a problem. Going to the fish store to get brine is too much hassle, plus they smell horrible. As far as my 6line goes hes best friends with my clown they swim all around together and doesn't both anything at all really.

The frozen brine shrimp doesn't smell. Well at least the one i use...

I do the same i grab a cup of water put the frozen cube in and then let it sit for like 2 mins and then stir it up making shur it is all defrosted and dump it in and my fish LOVE it!

I have some old cubes in my freezer I tried...non of the fish seem to like it at all, maybe it goes old after a while? If not i dunno lol

Yea i think it does and all my fish love it and i have:
1 yellow tang
2 purple firefish
2 tomato clowns
1 coral bandit shrimp

And everyone races to eat it all and even the shrimp jumps to get some.

hahah yea thats the same with mine but with flakes...even the shrimp runs upside down on the surface to grab the flakes......dunno lol

fantom555 said:
hahah yea thats the same with mine but with flakes...even the shrimp runs upside down on the surface to grab the flakes......dunno lol

Those must be some speacil flakes! What are they? because my fish hate my regular fish food.

They are in the basement, too far away lol, I will post it tomorrow, but I have used other flakes when I lost it for a few days and they didn't eat, so they must be really delicious hahah