• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which fish to add?

fantom555 said:
hahah yea thats the same with mine but with flakes...even the shrimp runs upside down on the surface to grab the flakes......dunno lol

would you eat flavored cardboard? there arnt many ( if any ) oils in flakes, nor does feeding the same thing offer a mixture of vitamins and things and brine shrimp ive heard doesnt have much nutritional value.

onefish2fish said:
fantom555 said:
hahah yea thats the same with mine but with flakes...even the shrimp runs upside down on the surface to grab the flakes......dunno lol

would you eat flavored cardboard? there arnt many ( if any ) oils in flakes, nor does feeding the same thing offer a mixture of vitamins and things and brine shrimp ive heard doesnt have much nutritional value.

What do you recommend on feeding
1 yellow tang (about 4 in.)
2 tomato clowns (1.5 inches)
2 purple firefish (one is like 2.5 in and other 1.5)
1 coral bandit shrimp

??????????????????????????????

And i feed like every 4 days that dried seaweed that is garlic flavored
But only the tang eats that

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I believe what onefish2fish is getting at is that flake and brine do not offer a diversity of food. Brine shrimp are like popcorn, fish love them but they really don't offer too much nutritional value. I have used flake in the past but switched over to mysis and Rods food as they offer a lot more to the fish. Keep adding the seaweed for the tang, but just change it up a bit for the other fish. The other route to go it to supplement the food with selcon, garlic, or vitamin C (or all as we do).

Paul B in his threads talks about what fish eat in the wild and how that is not readily available in our tanks. His advice is to try and get as close to nature as possible. I have started feeding blackworms on a weekly basis on his advice and they seem to really like it.

O ok i am going to go to my LFS and ask around for some good nutrional food to feed so should i like feed then brine once a week and give them what on a normal basis? What exactly should i ask for? Like should I say I need some mysis and Rods food and make a alternate rotation everyday?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Rods food if you can find it would be my selection. Mysis would be a solid backup and pretty much every store carries it. Rods has a little bit of everything in it so I just stick to that, and do mysis every now and again. Brine shrimp is up to you if you want to continue it or not, it is always fun to watch the fish chase them.

I am going to say first try a second clown ... I didn't realize the potential there for their interaction it is really very interesting.

Firefish are great ...but a) rockwork to hide in is helpful and b) they will jump. If you have been lucky till now great but they will jump when startled. You can help by keeping the lights out during the first day or two and then keeping the tank covered till they get used to the new tank. But I pushed it and eventually I found a dried firefish on the floor. :'( Lesson learned.

I like pygmy angels ...mine occasionally picked at something but then would move on....I think they just pick at everything like a baby putting everything in their mouth.

And Dan the tang in a nano is hopefully an excuse for you to upgrade. ;)

My fish love mysis, I feed my tangs and blenny algae also, they get some flakes and pellets occasionally(when I am not home), and of course the new/old blackworms are a new addition for me. Plus the occasional misc food stuffs like clams and krill.

JRWOHLER said:
I am going to say first try a second clown ... I didn't realize the potential there for their interaction it is really very interesting.

Firefish are great ...but a) rockwork to hide in is helpful and b) they will jump. If you have been lucky till now great but they will jump when startled. You can help by keeping the lights out during the first day or two and then keeping the tank covered till they get used to the new tank. But I pushed it and eventually I found a dried firefish on the floor. :'( Lesson learned.

I like pygmy angels ...mine occasionally picked at something but then would move on....I think they just pick at everything like a baby putting everything in their mouth.

And Dan the tang in a nano is hopefully an excuse for you to upgrade. ;)

My fish love mysis, I feed my tangs and blenny algae also, they get some flakes and pellets occasionally(when I am not home), and of course the new/old blackworms are a new addition for me. Plus the occasional misc food stuffs like clams and krill.

Is a 55 gallon considered nano?

And yea it is great excuse to get a 100 - 200 gallon tank =) ;D

Well for most tangs yes....55 is a weird size, which is what I have (and almost everyone who has ever done fresh water has had at some point) for my fresh water. It is nice length but so narrow. So long as you are using it as an excuse to upgrade I won't bark to loud about it. But for the fish's sake you need to upgrade! ;D

JRWOHLER said:
Well for most tangs yes....55 is a weird size, which is what I have (and almost everyone who has ever done fresh water has had at some point) for my fresh water. It is nice length but so narrow. So long as you are using it as an excuse to upgrade I won't bark to loud about it. But for the fish's sake you need to upgrade! ;D

I love that! Great excuse! O i bought this fish not knowing that i couldnt keep it in this tank and i HAVE to get a 200 gallon tank

Wow this thread is getting long lol...anyways guys I decided on getting rid of my original somewhat aggressive clown and picking up two baby perculas, already paired from the looks of it. They are like .75 inches. What do you guys think? My total tank stock looks like this

bicolor blenny
6 line wrasse
pair of perc clowns
fire shrimp
camel shrimp
2 turbo snails
8 nerite snails
10 nasarius snails
4-6 cerith snails
a half dozen or so mini brittle stars I got for free with my chaeto (never see them)

Corals
3 frags of whit pom pom xenia
red shrooms
green/brown watermelon shrooms
candy cane trumpet
neon trumpet
red acans
kenya tree
5-6 zoa frags
1 large frogspawn head
10-14 heads of hammer/frogspawn (looks like its a mix, didn't know they could do that)
Probably a few more corals here and there, cant remember from upstairs:)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I think you made a great choice with the clowns, pairs always seem to do better. The corals you picked should also do well, as most of them are pretty low maintanence. As James said, now we just need the pics.